Friday, September 25, 2015

Mary Kauer: July 21, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine kept me busy at work. Which means I did a lot of running around most days.I am so looking forward to a slower paced couple of days.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary.



As always for those who find it hard to read here is what it says:

                    Rib Lake Wis
                   July 21, 1926
Dear Howard:-
   Just a few lines to
let you know I'm still
alive and thanks for
the letter. I got it yesterday.
I was going to get a
catechism late nite but
they didn't have any but
the real small ones for
kids. And pa burned up
all the old ones we had
at home here.
  I'll send for a big one
and then you can study
all you're good for.
 Did the storm do any

damage around your place
last nite? It blew down
a couple of our apple trees
and blew our clothes
reel over the fence. Our
milk pails were all over
the yard.
  Say this is all I can
write just now. This is
about 8.30 a.m. and the dishes
aren't washed yet. I'll write
some evening when I'm not
so tired.
  I pitched hay for pa
yesterday and I got blisters
on my hands & feet and I
had such a backache this
morning so here's where I

swear off hay making.
     Well so long
        Love from Mary.

I wonder if Grandpa was thinking about looking into becoming Catholic? At least that's what I think she was hinting at.
I wonder how bad the storm was and if there was any damage around the home place.
I wonder if Mary was able to swear off making hay?
So many questions where the answers have already faded away never to be answered.

Here are few random pictures for you to look at.

I wonder if this could be uncle Thomas cutting hay. I thought since she mentioned making hay I would show you the way they cut hay back then.

No clue who this could be. It looks like it could have been her conformation picture.

No idea who these guys are. It looks like they've been busy working.

Well that's all I have to share with you this time. I hope you have a good weekend. My husband plans on baling hay this weekend. Tonight I'm thinking of maybe sitting out by the fire pit and just chilling out and enjoying this nice fall weather.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment