Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Mary Kauer: July 12, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope this post finds you all doing well. I'm good. No excitement for me lately. It is suppose be on the kind of rainy side around here for this week. Nothing heavy like some places just a little bit here and a little bit there.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary.



 As usual for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Rib Lake Wis
                 July, Tues. 1927
Dear Howard:-
  I s'pose you are
busy making hay by
this time. We did not
get any in yet but pa
cut some yesterday.
 I'm all in today. We
thinned out our ruta-
bagies yesterday and it
was so darn hot and
I washed in the forenoon
so now I think I'll have
to take a vacation today.
We were at Wood Lake
Sunday afternoon and you
should see Marts neck
now. It's burned as red
as a crab.

Katie Lamberty, Mart & I
are going to Sturgeon
Bay next week to pick
cherries. Pete Lamberty is
going to take us, we
are going the 19th and
stay till about the 6th
of August. Rosie wants
to go along but her
mother doesn't want
to let her go. I don't see
why they could get along
without her for 2 weeks.
Ma said we work hard
enough all the rest of the
time so we can go. Joseph
told Mart he'd milk her
cows and if she makes
any money she should
buy him a pint of moon

but if she doesn't it's all
right too.
  Well, I don't know
any more news so
I'll quit for today. Don't
work too hard its bad
for your health.
                   Mary

It was haying time so I suppose Grandpa was busy doing that.
I wonder if Mary was able to pick cherries at Sturgeon Bay. For those who don't know where that is, it's on the other side of Green Bay in Door County. Door County is known for it's cherries.
I hope Rosie was able to go. Two weeks away from home is a vacation no matter when you live or how old you are. I do hope she was able to go and get Joseph his pint of moon (shine).


Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

Picture of the Statue of Liberty, taken during someones class trip.

Putting hay up in the 1920's.

I think this is a picture of a dam. No idea which one it could be.But I could be wrong. Any idea what you think it could be?

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment