Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Mary Kauer: May 26, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend, mine was drama free. The weather was calm most of time. It did snow a little bit on Sunday but nothing that really stayed.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary.


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

             Rib Lake, Wis
             May 26, 1927
Dear Howard:-
  I got your letter this
morning and was glad to hear
you got home O.K., but what did
Thomas and your ma say?
  Gee, I was tired yesterday
Rosie was up here a little
while as they had come to
town to go to confession. She
is going to work next Monday.
I was to church this morning.
Mart & pa were there and
Mart said I'd have to come
home Sat. as ma is sick. But
I guess I'll stay till next week
Saturday. Ma isn't realy sick, I
guess she is just all in. She has
kind of a flu.
  But Howard, I don't know
about Sunday. I should really

go home and see ma and also
take some of my things home.
I've got so darned much junk here
that I don't know what to do
with it. Will you be sore if you
can't come? Or can you come some
evening next week? I'll m send you
home at 10 o'clock so you won't be
tired next day. I don't know if
Clara heard me come in or not,
she didn't say anything.
How is the poor dear? I s'pose
he is not tired anymore or did
he stay out late with the teachers?
Well, I don't know of any other
news or any scandal so I'll
wish you good luck, Mary
     Yours truly or isn't that
the right way to end a business letter?

Nothing much here. I wonder if Mary was starting to move back home or if she had just collected to many things for where she was staying and decided to store some of it back at her home place.
I get a kick out of the way she implies that teachers stay out late. They had to unwind back then too after having to deal with other peoples kids all day.


Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:

No idea who this is but he looks like a teacher. Did he like to stay out late too?

Just one of the class pictures of I think someones class mate.

No idea who is in these two pictures. I wonder if these are some of the ones that Grandpa developed.

Before I go here is a picture from the scrap book:

With health officials continuing to warn citizens that the
drinking water should be boiled, hundreds of families are
preferring spring water. Persons in this crowd patiently were
awaiting their turn Sunday at the spring on Hawley road, just
north of W. Wells st.       (journal staff photo)

 Wells about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Faded History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment