Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Mary Kauer: June 22, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was interesting. Not bad interesting, just not totally boring.
My husband worked a 16 hour shift Friday. Which means he did not get home till after 6 am Saturday. He tried to sleep for about an hour and a half . Then he wanted to be woke up to go to an auction. I woke him up and we went. We took the car. He did buy a couple of things, which means we had to go back on Sunday with the truck to bring the things he bought home. There was a Home and Business expo in town which we then went to after we were done at the auction. After that we came home and he slept most of the afternoon. That was my weekend. Not exciting. Just different.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:


As always for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Rib Lake Wis
               June, 22, 1927
Dear Howard:-
  How are you? I hope fine
the same as I. I got your letter
the day before yesterday at Kauer's
John Kauer is at home this
week too. They said that Celia Kress
is going back to Milwaukee with
him.
  You asked if ma & Joe went to
Mil. with the car. Joe went down with his
car and then John came back with
them but I guess that was kind of
crowded for such a long trip.
  Joe just came home from town.
he is working at the mill now but
I guess its raining too much today.
Pete Lamberty is at camp alone now.
My cousin Frank Denis is going
to Canada again and his wife and

4 kids were here last week. Now she is
at her sisters. Gee it seems nice and
quiet again. The kids certainly made
a lot of racket.
  Oh say, I wanted to tell you that
nearly everybody in Mud Lake read those
5 books that you gave me. Margret
said that teacher was always taking
books to Pate Lamberty when his leg was
broke so she took mine over and she
said he liked them better then any
he wanted to know if I didn't have
some more.
  Today is Rosie's Birthday, she
will be 22. We are going to make a
cake for her and take it over tonite
We;re going to ask Katie Lamberty and
Fuch's to come down.
I guess I better quit now and
make dinner or I'll get fired. Oh yes
we went swimming 4 times already.
Last Wed. twice on Sunday and last nite
We almost froze Wednesday but the rest
of the times it was nice.     Mary


Not much here. It's just an average kind of letter with a little info here and there about things going on around Mud Lake. I get a kick out of her calling it Mud Lake. I guess I can understand someone calling where their from a more boring or dull name. Like when I was younger we often referred to Medford as Dudford or Deadford. It's just something you do for different reasons from time to time.
I hope Rosie had a good 22nd birthday.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.


Not sure who this is. It could be Grandpa. Would you climb up something like that and just hang around for awhile?

No idea when this one was taken. It looks like it could have been a flooded river, maybe.


No idea who these guys are or when it was taken.

How about a picture from the scrap book.


A political cartoon of the day. On the bottom it says No egg!

Oh before I go I would like to tell you that the one picture from last post where I said it was a neighbor? Well it was cousin Tommy. Once I looked closer at it I did see it was him.

Well that's about all I have for you to day. I hope you will come back again for more Fading History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment