Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Mary Kauer: July 6, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good Easter. Mine was uneventful. We went to my parents house on Saturday. Sunday my husband and I stayed home. The weather was on the dreary side.
Oh well, here is the next letter from Mary:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

              Rib Lake Wis
               July 6, 1927
Dear Howard:-
  I s'pose you will
be good and sore at me
but honest I din't have
time to write yesterday
morning. It was so dark
and rainy that none of
us got up till almost 7 and
then I had to mend pair
overalls and by that time
the mail carrier was here
already. I almost wish you

would get sore. How would it be
if I'd pray for you to get mad at
me? Do you think the Lord would
answer my prayers? Still I think
I would rather have you for a
friend, because I don't think any-
one else would ever be as good
a friend as you are. Honest Howard
I do wish I could marry you but
gee, I can't make up my mind to
do it. When it comes right down
to it I'm not very satisfied with
the way I'm just bumming around
now. I guess I'll end up by being
an old maid or maybe I could get
a job as being some rich old
mans housekeeper if I'd marry
him and then he wouldn't live
long anymore when I'd start to
cook for him and then I'd be a,
"charming young Widow"
Well, this is enough nonsense

I have a big washing
waiting for me so it's
good bye for now
                 Mary
I'll try and write more
sense next time.

 I'm thinking that Grandpa was really trying to get her to agree to marry him and Mary could not see herself married to him or maybe anyone at that time.
She is always saying how bad her cooking was. I wonder if it was that bad or if she just didn't like cooking.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:

No idea who this is. it looks like it might have been taken in the early 60's or late 50's.

On the back of this picture it says: Howard Johnson's place, 1926,  S.E.S.E. Sec 35. I think Grandpa or someone else, like to write the section directions on the back of some of the pictures.



No idea which school this was or when it was taken. I wonder if it exists anymore.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment