Friday, March 4, 2016

Mary Kauer: May 30, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
It's the end of another week. My week was just the same old same old hum drum kind of week. Which means no drama.
Well I guess I'll get right to it. Here is the next letter from Mary.




As always for those who find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                         May 30, 1927
Dear Howard:-
  I don't know how much
I'll be able to write now but
I'm going to start anyway. I'm
waiting for Pete & Clara to come
for dinner. They went out to the
cemetery with the parade. Are
you celebrating today, too?
  I was home yesterday but
there was no party. Dauberts
were at Kauer in the evening.
Amelia Daubert & her husband are
here for a visit. You know that
the one I told you I picked out
for Thomas. I guess she is 19 and
he is 20. They look like a couple
of kids. She wanted to stay home
a little longer but he didn't

want her to. He said "If I wanted
to be a bachelor I would have stayed
single." It sounded so comical
because he is so awfully young.
Ma is in bed but I guess she
is not so very sick there but the doctor
told her to stay there until she
is all well again. She said she
want that you came to see her
and you had brought some cookies
for her.
Joseph brought me to town
this morning. He said he might
stay at home this week.
Say do you think you can come
tomorrow Tuesday eve? Or have you
another engagement for then? I
hear the band now so I guess they
are coming from the cemetery and
I better get busy.
It's after three now and I
just got thru with the dishes.
They had company so we had

to make some more dinner.
And I guess they were all quite
hungry.
Gosh, now I don't know what
to write to fill up this sheet. I
can't afford to send it empty.
How are you and what are
you doing today? Freezing? Say
do you know what you should do?
You are always so cold you should
get a real fat lady for a wife
and then take her along where ever
you go. You could always make
her stay on the side that the wind
comes from, she'd keep the draft off
of you. How's that for an idea?
Should I get a patent on it? And if
you know of any real fat men
that is looking for a wife then

let me know will you, I might
try that myself. But he must
be at least 3 or 4 hundred pounds
and as tall as I am else the wind
would blow over the top of his
head and my ears would get cold.
Oh say, did I tell you already
that Pete Fuchs & Marie Niggeman are
out of a job so they won't get married
this summer? That's hard on them,
isn't it?
Well, so long now that's all the
foolishness I can think of.
                           Mary Kauer
P.S. I couldn't write any other
name as fancy as that, could I?

It must have been Memorial Weekend that there was a parade to the cemetery.
I wonder what she was talking about picking something out for Thomas and then saying something about a girl that was 19 and a guy that was 20. Was it connected or just two different thoughts?
Grandpa must have always been saying he was cold that she made the comment she did about getting a fat wife. My thought, he just said that so he could try to get her or someone to snuggle up with, not to just stay warm.
I wonder if Pete and Marie were ever able to get married. I wonder what kind of jobs they had that they both lost them at the same time.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:

    I was trying to read the name. I think it says Veneer Mill Wisconsin Timber and Land Co.
 This is written on the back: "This is the mill Fred is working in.
                                            Nearly sixty men are employed there."

Just a picture of a log yard, or what ever it called.

Someones class mate.

Well that's all I have to share with you today. Enjoy your weekend and come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment