Friday, March 18, 2016

Mary Kauer: June 14, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I don't know about you but I'm ready for a nice weekend. I'm just hoping that the snow we got the other day will go away soon. Just when I was getting use to seeing bare ground it got covered with white again. oh well, it is March in Wisconsin, anything can happen.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary:


As usual for those that find it hard to read here what it says:

              Rib Lake Wis
              June 14, 1927
Dear Howard:-
  I've got to make my
letter short but sweet today
as I want to wash yet.
 I got your letters and what
do you think the mail carrier
took one of them to Fuchs.
  How are you? is it so cold
in Ogema as it is here? I guess
John is coming home today.
Joe and Ma went to Milwaukee
Friday and then ma went to
see Anton but I hope they
come home today.
Say, what was that you
said about it being another

fellows fault that Ed got killed.
Did his uncle write? I suppose
that makes it much harder yet.
 And what about those outlaws?
Gee you got me all excited and
curious.
  Well, goodbye for this time
I've got to get busy or I won't
have the washing done when
Ma gets home.
                     Mary
I don't know if you will be able to
read this, it's worse than usual.


It sounds like Grandpa was writing Mary so much that she would get more then one letter a day from him.
I wonder what the temp was that day if she said it was cold.
Remember the letter from May 9, 1927 that mentioned that Ed was dead. I wondered what happened to him. I wonder more now seeing that he was killed. Someday I will have to look up what could have happened to him.
I wonder what outlaws she was excited and curious about? Were they well known outlaws or just something local?
I hope she was able to get the wash done before her ma got home.
I just realized that this letter should have been before the last one. I guess I better look at the rest of the letters for this year to see if the rest of them are in the right order.There are three more that should have actually been shown before the one I showed you on Tuesday.  I'll try to pay closer attention to the dates.

Here is a picture from the scrap book that might remind some of the flooding that is happening now. The scrap book was put together in 1936.

Flood waters were receding Wednesday afternoon in Johnstown,
Pa., after the second great flood in half a century. This view
shows citizens on a bridge in the heart of the city surveying a house
which crashed against the span.--A.P. Wirephoto

I wonder when the first one was and how many others there have been since then.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:

This was taken June 1973. It looks kind of familiar but right now I'm not sure why.

I think this was one of their neighbors. I might know who it is but I'm not 100% sure.


No idea who they are, but I'm sure one of the relations will tell me, maybe.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment