Friday, March 25, 2016

Mary Kauer: June 28, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was kind of uneventful with the exception for the snow we got Wed. night, Thursday morning. I think we got about 8 inches or more here. Just when the ground was bare it gets covered with that white stuff. Oh well, it will gone before this time next week.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Rib Lake Wis
                 June 28, 1927
Dear Howard:-
   I got your letter
last week some time
so I better answer it
or you'll think I'm sore.
I've got to try this pen
or you won't be able to
read my letter at all.
How are you? I s'pose as
busy as any farmer

Do you notice the nice weather
we are having now? My praying
helps some, anyhow. I guess I'll
have to pray a little more so
the weather stays nice till
after the 4th since they are
having three days celebrall celebration
here. Gee, I think they are over
doing it. People will all be broke
by the 4th.
  Did I tell you that Joseph is
working at the mill? He said he
worked with some fellow by the
name of Vic, that heard knew you but
he didn't know what his last
name was. it's a fellow from
Ogema.
What are Roseen's girls doing? Are
they still at home or did

Anna go to work again.
  Gee, we haven't got our
phone yet, that fellow's
so darned slow, I'd like to
set dynamite under him.
I'll forget how to use a
phone by the time we get
it.
Mrs. Kauer, Joe & Anton went
to Iowa last week, I guess
they will be back for the 4th
tho.
     So long and good luck
                         from Me.

I wonder how long it took before they got their phone. I guess somethings never change when it comes to some service people.
It sounds like the weather was nice at that time.
I wonder who this Vic person was from Ogema?
I hope Mrs. Kauer, Joe & Anton had a good time in Iowa and made it back in time for the 4th.
Nothing exciting in this letter. Just you average everyday kind of letter.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:


Just a couple of farmers out working in their field. No idea who they are.

This is some of the flowers I remember at my grandparents place when I was growing up.

Even tho this was taken many years ago, this is what it looked like around here yesterday morning. Mother nature repeating herself.

Here is a picture from the scrap book.
Clayton Brown, 25, is shown in a hospital at Charlevoix,
Mich., where he is recovering from 50 hours on ice floes in
Lake Michigan. Doctors first feared that he would lose his legs,
frozen when he crawled eight miles to shore, but now believe they
can save them. His father-in-law and a coast guardsman perished
in the cold when they and Brown were swept into the open lake
in a small boat.             (Associated Press Wirephoto)

This was one lucky guy.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a Happy Easter .
Come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment