Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Helen Balusik: Nov. 10, 1928 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
Well I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good.
But I did just learn that one of my classmates passed. I can't say we were friends but I think we could have been if only.... But I guess I will never know what could have been. It will always be one of my biggest regrets that I did not reach out more when I had the chance.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Phillips, Wis
                Nov. 9-28
Dear Howard:-
    Here it is Friday all over
election and everything - So
our man got his vote eh?
I sure was glad when I heard
the news.
I'm not doing much of any
thing today so I decided to write
some letters. Yours will be first see?
Well, its too bad you didn't
come to the social at Hackett
after thinking of going. I bet we
would have known each
other eh? Maybe we would
be too bashful to speak, no
doubt we would.
Speaking of you being there
two years ago. I'm pretty sure
I was because I was here at that
time- But I was to so many
around here that I don't
really remember if it was
just then.
No, I do not know Ester
Anderson, not personally-
There is a girl teaches at the
Stone Lake school near Spirit
that comes from my home
town. She was home last week

for couple days- we had a
good visit together. Do you
happen to know the school?
Yes, everybody is installing
radios in their homes- Wish I
was the lucky one. I surely
would make use of it while
reading books. I'm reading
some of Zane Grey's books now
they sure are interesting especially
the romance part of it (Ha Ha)
Now don't laugh at me - for I'm
sure you will-
I must see how the bread is
baking so I don't burn it
like I do sometimes when
I do something else.
News are scarce so will
have to sign off this station
Hoping you are felling fine
like myself.
           Your friend
         as always
           Helen

Well I wonder if they ever met up or not. Or maybe they met before and didn't know it at that time.
I wonder what kind of radio was the more popular at that time.
I do know that Grandpa did like to read Zane Grey books. I remember seeing them from time to time when we were growing up.
I hope here bread didn't burn.

Here is the last viewer card. I think it should have been shown first.

Mr. Slight is spending a pleasant evening with Miss Havyway.
when Mr. Newcome, his sworn enemy is announced.

I think I got it right it was very hard to make out a couple of the words.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Willard Peterson, 25, of Appleton was killed early Thursday when his 10-ton trailer truck skidded on the road and was ditched
on Highway 55 and N. One Hundred Eight st. The trailer loaded with 11 tons of paint, tipped over on the cab, wedging Peterson
inside. It took a wrecking crew with a derrick almost four hours to remove the body.

I don't know why I choose this picture. I guess it was to show the hazards of winter driving at any time.

Since it is Valentine's Day I thought I would show you one from the past.

 Happy Valentines Day to All!

Here is a random picture:

This is Peter Keuer. He was a classmate of mine who just passed away.
I would like to say this:

To the boy I knew
and the man I wish I
would have known,
you will forever be in
my heart.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment