Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Helen Balusik: Nov. 21, 1928 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
Well I hope this post finds you all feeling very good. I also hope you had a good weekend. I did. The weather was very warm here. It as very sloppy but at least you didn't have to warm a heavy coat if any coat at all.But then on Monday , it rained. But by the end of the week, there could be more snow on the ground. Mother Nature can't seam to make up her mind what season it is.
Oh well, here is the next letter from Helen:





As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Phillips, Wis.
                 Nov. 18-28
Dear Howard:-
   As I am waiting
for the dinner to cook
I thought I better answer
your nice letter.
Aren't you surprised to
have snow on the
ground? It makes it
look like Xmas right
away don't it Howard?
I like it in away and
then I'd rather be without
it- Won't be long now
and skating will
commence. They are
planning an having
a skating rink in Phillips
so I'm sure it will
be lots of fun.

It's too bad you are so far away
you could come with eh?
Today I don't intend to go to
Sunday School because, pa is
going to lodge meeting and
some one has to be home
don't you want to come over
and keep company? Too bad
we haven't telephones.
Last night some of us kids
went to a show- It was a
western so it was rather inter-
esting. I usually enjoy the
comedies don't you?
My brother makes me laugh
he was out with his girl
last night I guess to a dance
and she knew he works only
till noon today so she invited
him there for dinner- He told
me this morning how he dreads
to go, and that she was bound
he would come- I just about
know how he feels about
eating there for the first
time with the whole bunch
I'm glad it isn't me in (Ha Ha)
such a case-
Well another week more
and my married sister will
be here- She is coming only
for couple weeks- perhaps

I have told you about her coming
already-I write about it so
much I don't remember who
I did tell- that's me (Ha Ha)
That teachers name at the
Stone Lake School is Gladys Martin
she sure is a nice kid- Her
father is a wonderful Christian
also a teacher of our Sunday
School class- Wish you could
get to meet her sometime-
I don't believe she had any
basket socials yet for she
didn't mention it to me-
Well Howard, you going

             2
hunting after the season
opens? i hope my
brother gets a deer this
year- He usually has
good luck when he
does go- Wish I could
get a hunting license
I would be out there
alright (Ha Ha) But, what
I would get I don't
think much-
Pa is getting sort of
inpatient about dinner
so I'll have to set
the table and get
through with it-
Maybe I'll practice
up on the guitar some
this P:m-
Well Howard, I am

wondering what you
meant by those
abbreviations on the
outside of your envelope
(H.H.B.B.S) please tell
me, will you?
Must hurry now
see you some
other time again-
Lovingly
Helen

It sounds like they might have had snow for hunting season that year. I wonder if Grandpa got one that year. I also wonder why she couldn't get a license to go hunting? Was it not legal for women at that time or did her pa not want her to be out in the woods with a gun?
I wonder if Grandpa was interested in Gladys or was she just trying to set him up with another girl.
I wonder what show they saw?
I wonder what H.H.B.B.S. means. Any ideas?

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Through mountainous drifts, plows slowly sliced their way to free scores of stranded motorists
in a near-record snowfall that accompanied sub-zero weather in a great area from northwest to
the east coast, this scene near Algonquin, Ill., being a typical one of rescue. Rail and highway
traffic was paralyzed, schools were closed, and blocked roads brought grave peril of fuel famines
in many communities.

I wonder how long it took the snow to build up to look like that?
I also wonder how long it took to get that car out of the snow.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

No idea who they are or when it was taken.
It looks like they are hanging around a clothes line.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I'm trying to find other things I can share with you. The old pictures are starting to run out or be to much of the same the picture or just plain boring. I might start sharing more pictures from the scrap books. But some of them are hard to scan because the are to wide for the scanner.
Oh well, I'll figure something out.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment