Friday, March 10, 2017

Harriet: Dec. 9, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dearest Friends,
It's the end of yet another week. Boy was it windy around here for a few days. One night when it was raining and the wind blowing it kind of sounded like my house was going through a car wash. I am surprised that there were not more trees down then there was. At least the lights never went out here but other places were not so lucky.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Chicago Ill
                   Friday Eve.
Dearest Sweetheart of mine
  Sure was glad to receive
your loving letter the other
day. Am always glad to
get letters from you (honney)
How's the world treating
you now days anyway
It's treating me fairly good
only thing it is getting
a little to cold to suit me
Suppose it's the same
up there eh?
it snowed yesterday the
first snowfall so looked
like Christmas especially
to me--

                 -2-
Margret is going up home
for Christmas. Wish I could do
so to. But could only stay for a
few days so would only make
me more lonesome than ever
for you sweetheart-
A few of us girls went to a dance
last night (Ladies Choice) Did
we have a good time. and
who did we see but Candorsey
Soderbeck. Oh boy was she loud
We sure got a good kick out
of her.
We may go to a Swedish dance
to-morrow night (that's maybe)
So Catherine & Johnnie comes to
see you quite often don't they
Suppose it won't be long
now ha! ha!
Was surprised to hear that
Lillian Carlson is married. but
guess there was reasons ha!
No Walter hasn't called me
for a while. Did you hear
from him lately
Is Luella still going with Harold
Peterson or is it all off.--

If this letter isn't up to standard don't
blame me as they have the radio a going
and some peppy music and how
so am writing and listening to the radio
the same time--
Well sweetheart there isn't any
news whats so ever so guess I
might as well sign off this hum
broadcasting station for this time.
Heaps & heaps of (love & kisses)
                 Your till
               Niagara Falls
                      Harriet
Answer at once
 (SWMK)xxxxxxxx

  I think I got that one name wrong or at least I think I did. But I do wonder who this person was. Was she famous or just someone they knew? I doubt I'll ever find out.
Still no word from Walter, poor girl. But I don't think she was that worried about hearing from him.
I wonder what a Swedish dance was like.
I like the way she signed off. I don't know if I've ever heard of doing that before or not.
I guess she can't multi task. Listening to music must have been kind of distracting for her at that time.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

 This mass of twisted iron and steel is the remains of two engines, pulling 60 cars, which Monday
crashed head-on into a stalled freight train near Jordan, Minn. Four members of the train crew
were killed.- A.P. Wirephoto.

That looks like one big mess.

Here is a page from the joke book:

Enjoy jokes from 1940.

And here is a random picture:

This one is very dark. I've lightened it the best I could. I think they might be thrashing but I'm not 100%  sure.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
Enjoy your weekend.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment