Friday, March 31, 2017

Harriet: Dec. 28, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
It's the end of yet another week.This week for me just flew by. Nothing exciting for me, which is just fine with me. I do wish it would stay warmer around here. I want to see the temps closer to at least 50. For this time of the year I don't expect to much higher.
Anyway, here is the last letter for 1928 which is from Harriet:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Chicago Ill.
                  Thursday Eve.
Dearest Sweetheart
Received your darling letter
and it sure made me
happy to hear from you
again.
And also want to thank
you ever so much for
what you sent me. It
sure was a wonderful
gift honney.
Sure think the world
of that basket. its so
pretty That's for my
hope chest you know
ha-- Ain't so

Was Santa good to you this
Christmas. He sure was good
to me. filled my stocking
from top to toe (and how)
And what did you do Xmas
day. I spent Xmas with a
girl friend of mine So sure
enjoyed my vacation.
Next week we have two days
off again for New year. Am not
working thu Saturday either as
we are moving to the other
factory- to the main one as the
Company has several factories here
in Chicago.
They held a Xmas party for
us last Sat. and was lucky
as I won a pillow. Another
thing for my hope chest.
Won't be long now honney
Did you see Freda. I called
her up before she left so expect
a call from her one of these
evenings.
Am going to a Swedish dance
Saturday and New years eve. I
am invited to a party.
So wish you were going
with me sweetheart.

Got a Xmas card from Walter. He
also called me some nights ago
Have you heard from him lately
Mrs. Heck was down here for
Xmas just for two days.
When are you coming down here
Sure would be glad to have you
come honney.
Well dearest haven't any more
to write about so guess I will sign
off. With loads of (love & kisses)
                   Your
                Sweetheart
                  Harriet
Answer
soon
sweetheart               (SWMK)

It sounds like she had a good Christmas.
So for the gift he gave her I think she wrote basket but then again maybe she said bracelet. But then again way would she put a bracelet in a hope chest.
I wonder if he ever visited her?

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

When you think how tired everyone is of "The Music Goes 'Round and Around" and "Sweet Violets" you marvel at the patience of the passengers from the marooned train, who sang both songs over and over again, with the help of the nickel phonograph, in the Hotel Schneider, Jackson. In this picture the two St. Thomas girls from Kansas City, Marion, 8, and Ruth, 11, who were bound for West Bend, are at the left. Journal Staff Photo.

I'm kind of thinking this picture was staged in some way. Granted they could have been singing together for awhile but they posed for this picture.

Here is a page from the joke book:

This was the next page in the book. 
If you can try to do this puzzle. Maybe next time I'll post the page with the answers.Or maybe I'll wait a few times before I post the answers.

And here is a random picture:

No idea who they are or when it was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment