Friday, March 3, 2017

Cousin Walter Walin: Nov. 28, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. I was on vacation all week because of the play. it has been a lot of fun.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Walter:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   11/28/28
Friend Howard:
Received your letter some
time ago and will try & get in a
few minutes now to answer it.
        I hear you are
having winter weather up there.
It's not so bad here yet. I'm
still wearing B.V.D's and sometimes
only a light coat. It's raining a
little today.
Haven't seen much of
your girl friend. I only took her
out once but called her up several
times. She always seems to be
so busy altho she says she has
no boy friend but that's a lot of
bunk I guess. I really didn't
try very hard to take her out
again as I've my own friends
to go out with and haven't a

great deal of time. I sure do
kid her along when I call. The
last time I called her was a
month ago.
       Pa, seems to like it
pretty well up there and I'm
glad of that.
Did you do any
hunting this fall? When it gets
a bit colder I'll be going out
for rabbits. They are pretty scarce
around here. We generally go
about 100 miles or so from here.
        Well Howard, I must
start to work now. Will get all
the dope about Harriet I can and
don't worry I won't say any thing
to her about it. Don't you say
anything either.
                   Your cousin
                    Walter

Well the weather at time time sounds like it was warm around Chicago. I wonder how much snow they got that year?
I wonder if he was able to go rabbit hunting and if he did how many did he get?
It sounds that from his point Harriet was not the one for him so he was just going to kind of string her along.
I wonder how long that lasted?

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Sawing and blasting have cut this channel in the ice of the Milwaukee river north of the Lincoln park bridge.
It is hoped that such channels will carry off expected flood waters. A dynamite blast can be seen in the background.

I wonder how much dynamite the used that people were standing so close to the blast. Kind of scary to me.

Here is a page from the joke book:

Have fun reading it.

Here is a random picture:

No idea when this was taken or who is in the picture.
I did my best to lighten it up a bit. The original is a bit darker.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend and if you find yourself my area tonight or Saturday night and want live entertainment come and see our production of "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike". Last night was our opening night and it was a good one.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment