Friday, May 19, 2017

Harriet: April 2, 1929 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well that was one wet week. It looks like it's suppose to continue through the weekend. Just another reason I will not be hiking this weekend. Oh well, what you going to do. Mother Nature is going to do what Mother Nature is going to do. Keep us all guessing what's going to happen next.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what is says:

                   Chicago Ill
                   Monday Eve.
Dearest Sweetheart of Mine
Honney will you forgive me
for not answering sooner but
haven't gotten around to answer
any of my letters for about three
weeks I believe.
Isn't that terrible but will
never let that happen again.
Well hon did you sep spend
(Easter) I was invited out for
dinner and talk about rain
why it just poured all day
but had a good time even
tho it rained ha! ha!
I heard that Carl Miller is
going to get married. Sure was
surprised.
Suppose you are next eh;
Have you seen Freda lately
Was glad to hear that she
looks good and sweet-
Have Catherine & Johnnie
getting along. Not married yet eh?

            -2-
Well whats new up around
there anyway.
I had my picture taken some
time ago but didn't turn out
near what good. Otherwise I
would of send you one.
Is Alice still home. Does she
look the same as ever.
Went to show Sat. night Saw
(Abie's Irish Rose)  and oh is that
a dandy picture. Almost laughed
myself sick. It's about a jewish
fellow falls in love with an Irish
girl and their fathers interfere etc.
It sure was comical.- If you
ever have a chance to see it
don't miss it.
Well dearest i think this will
be all for this time but will
promise to answer sooner next
time.
Heaps of Love and Kisses
                    Your Sweetie
                         Harriet.
Answer
at Once

It sounds like it was kind of wet at that time also. I wonder how much rain they got at that time.
I wonder how she went out to dinner with and had such a good time.
As for the picture show she mentioned:
Image result for Irish Rose movie from 1929
This picture opened in 1929.
It was funny back then but one statement said it would not be funny today. But I think I would have to watch it for myself to find out if it's funny or not by today's standards.
It kind of focused on the differences between Jews and Catholics.
It was a play before it was a movie.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:


Mrs. James Sorenson (right) who did the cooking, is shown baking pies. The kibitzers are
(left to right) Robert Thomas, Mrs. C.P. Stebbins of Milwaukee and Ernest Miller. The men are
Indiana truck drivers.

This is one of the pictures from the big snow storm 1936.

And here is a page from the joke book:

I like the cartoon. I wonder how he explained how he got up there?


Finally, a random picture:

Lincoln memorial taken from the Washington Monument. Taken during someones class trip.

Well, that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you all have a good weekend.
Don't forget to come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment