Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Sigrid Niemela: April 4, 1928 Mt. Iron Minn.

Dear Friends,
Well we had a chilly wet kind of weekend. Will it ever warm up and stay warm? I know it will but it's just tiresome being so cool and rainy for so long. This week looks like it will be more of the same. I know stop whining. So I will.
As I was looking at the next letter I realized it was a left over from 1928. Sorry. I got the time of year right, just not the year. So Lets go back in time one more year, here is a letter from Sigrid:




 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

           Mt. Iron Minn
           Apr. 4, 1928
Dear friend,
Recieved your lovely
letter and the picture.
Thanks ever and ever
so much for both.
I didn't have a blessed
thing to do tonight so
I started to write to
pass time off.
Probably in Wisconsin
everything is blooming
and spring is in full
swing. It seems pretty
slow coming here. There
isn't any snow to
mention of anymore
but otherwise it's rather
cold and dreary looking.

The days go so much
faster on nice sunny
days but a cold lone-
some feeling creeps into
one in wintery and
rainy days, I think.
I live here in this
small village with
my grandparents. My
mother, father, sisters &
brothers are on a farm
at Middle River in north-
ern Minnesota. There are
few young people of my
age here and I can
go out very little now
when grandpa is ill
with cancer and seems
to be getting worse all
the time. I've always
wanted to go somewhere

            2.
else too, but so far I've
been tied down.
I believe you are used
to Finnish people, as you
said you have a girl
working there. What is
her name may I ask?
I cannot play any
musical instrument but
all the same I like
to listen and enjoy
when others give. I
dance a little but
never was "dance-crazy"
maybe because I never
could go when I was
younger and wanted to go.

I think your fine, when
you don't drink. So few
boys now are without,
that it's really a very
few that are decent as
to that part. I don't
like drunkards, they are
so low, and awful looking.
Use your own will force
& I'm sure you never
will be drunk.
I shall soon send you
a picture of myself ( but
I believe you'll be awfully
disappointed when you
do see it.) At present
haven't any.
  Best of Easter Greet-
ings         Sincerely,
                Sigrid.

Once again I'm sorry for putting this letter in the wrong spot. But the post mark was hard to read. So I think when I separated the letters by year I got this one in the wrong spot. There could be others sometime but hopefully  not.
I can't remember what she has written about in the other letters so I'm not sure how to comment.
I do wonder if she ever found a good partner. I hope so. Everyone deserves a good partner or at least a very good friend.

Anyway, here is a scrap book picture:

Steam which froze after emerging from the Miller brewery is responsible for the silvered appear-
ance of this tree.- Journal Staff Photo.

I always think trees look very pretty when this kind of ice coats a tree.

Here is a page from the joke book:

I like the cartoon. Enjoy.


Here is a random picture:

No idea when this was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again for more Fading History.
Till then.
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment