Friday, May 26, 2017

Helen Balusik: April 11, 1929 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was uneventful. Now I'm looking forward to a nice three day weekend. I just hope the weather will behave so we can enjoy it. Well, at least be able to spend time outside without getting wet.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Phillips, Wis.
                      Apr. 19-29
Dear Howard:-
     Yours came Saturday
was so short tho, oh well. I
guess mine was the same for
a long time, why should I
complain.
  How do you like this cold
weather? Everybody says we
get more snow so I'm ex-
pecting is one of these days.
  How did you like the
thrill of the storm last Friday?
We sure were lucky it didn't
hit our town. It sure must
have been terrible in Rice Lake
and Ladysmith- Our paper says
twenty dead that they know of
now & so many hurt.
Last night was a meeting
at church but I didn't feel
much like going & rather went
to bed at about six thirty
"just like the chickens"eh?
  Tomorrow is an auction
sale near by, I was thinking

of going just to have some fun,
but not if its this cold. I
rather stay where I'm at. HaHa.
  My brother stopped in for
a short time this morning
wished he'd come home more
oftener so it wouldn't be so
lonesome around here. Pa is
out doors almost all day &
so I am by my lonesome most
of the day excepting evenings I
usually have some company or
else go out see whats going
on around the neighborhood.
I suppose its the same way
with you?
   I have noticed the trees are
beginning to turn a little green
aren't they?
  About two more weeks & we
all can start fishing, I hope.
My brother & his boss said they
were yesterday up to big elk
river but that the water is
too high. I imagine a person
would freeze standing out

so long. Perhaps after I get
 my fishing outfit I will begin
whether fishing season is open
or not. its mostly for the
bunch to meet there more then
really fishing- I missed it
all last spring but not this
year while I'm here.
I hear the roads are so bad
all over & I suppose they will
be worse yet after the frost begins
to come out of the ground.
I think I'll have to make a fire
in the stove because my hands
are blue now from cold. Usually
I don't keep it up in the evening
but tonight I'll have to do so.
Wonder when you will come
to Phillips again?
           Well bye bye
              As Ever
                Your friend
                Helen

Well the weather sounds like it was kind of ruff back then. I'll have to see if I can look up the snow storm that hit by Rice lake and Labysmith. If I find anything I'll try to tell you a little bit about it. With that many people getting killed I think I should find something.
I wonder if she was able to go fishing like she wanted. Or at least where her fishing outfit in front of others.
I hope her fingers were able to warm up before she went to bed that night.
Her going to bed so early that one night was just like going to bed just like the chickens.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

PUZZLE PICTURE: Find the snow plow. This picture
shows a Milwaukee railroad plow bucking drifts which blocked
the right-of-way between Ripon and Pickett, Wis. This stretch
has been one of the worst during the series of blizzards which
have raged through Wisconsin in the past month.

There sure were a lot of snow storms in Wisconsin that year.
As for finding the snow plow, it is there somewhere.

Here is a page from the joke book:

I like the suggestions on how to get a cherry out of the bottom of your glass.

And here is a random picture:

I thought with so much talk about snow storms, I would show one with lots of snow. Not sure who is in this picture but I'm sure someone will tell me.

Before I go, I just wanted to say I looked a little bit for info on the snow storm she mentioned but could not find it. Maybe someone else can. So that is your assignment. see if you can find out about this storm she mentioned.
I hope you will drop by for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment