Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Helen Balusik: Mar. 11, 1929 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good and a little busy. On Saturday we took our youngest daughter out to dinner for her birthday which was Friday. On Sunday the husband and I went hiking. We hiked about 13 miles. A little farther then we thought we would go but, we survived.The ticks are starting to come out. He had about 6 on him during the hike. I had none. I put the bug bracelets on my ankles. At least I think that's why I didn't have any. I will be continue wearing them.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:



 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

             Phillips, Wis.
              Mar. 9-29
Dearest Howard:-
    About time I should be
answering your letter isn't it?
Seeing its cold out tonite
I guess I better stay at home
near the heater.
  Really it seems winter will
never leave us- such storms
as there were this week.
Our mail man has been
coming four and five o'clock
in the afternoons, most of
the time- must have some
bad roads to go through.
  I wonder if you are back
at home by this time? I
suppose your brother misses
you when you are gone.
Pete was home this evening
but dolled up and left again
to see his girlie. They sure make
a fine couple- she works at
a store in Phillips, so of
course he drops in to see her
whenever he feels like. But
he claims he'll stay a bachelor

like my sister & I always
say we'll stay old maids, Ha Ha.
Nothing like being single, I
think at least there isn't
any fights & Quarrels going on
like there are in most
married cases.- don't you
think so? So Howard, you
should be glad your single
& free to the world
I could have laughed
yesterday I got a Valentine
almost a month late- but
there wasn't any name on
it so it keeps me guessing who
its from. Some one must be
dreaming-
Pete & I took pictures last
Sunday, but Pete has them
so I don't know how they
are if at least one is good
I'll send it to you next time
but I suppose will be bad
as usual-
  No, I haven't burned
yours that you send, me
Why should I? I always
keep snap shots & put them

              2
in the album. We have it
almost filled with pictures now.
And whenever I get a chance
I swipe some I sure take
the opportunity.
  Pa is eating his evening
lunch. He always does that
I always feel he didn't have
enough for supper but that
isn't the cause. I myself
do it at times- seems to
taste better after- Ha Ha.
 Such news as I'm telling
you eh? I bet your thinking
she can keep that stuff for
herself-
Did you hear or read about
the fire in Tomahawk, no
doubt you did. Good thing
it wasn't our beautiful city
instead.
  Well Howard about
  time I should keep still
  isn't it?
          I remain
         Your friend
            As always
             Helen

It sounds like winter was hanging on longer then they wanted to that year. I do wonder how bad the storms were?
I wonder if her brother Pete ended up with the girl he was seeing at that time.?
I wonder if she was able to get her hands on a picture to send him.
She is right about something tasting better the second time.
I wonder how bad the fire was in Tomahawk?
I could look it up but I'm not sure I will find it.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

This is a panorama photograph taken in Hyde park, London, of the funeral procession for King George V. it gives an inkling of the monster throng which lined the roadway to watch the funeral. Thousands of troops packed the streets in an effort to holding the mourning millions in check. The casket, drawn by sailors, is shown in the right foreground, followed by King Edward VIII and five other kings. Scores were injured in the crush.

I wonder who the five other kings were?

Here is a page from the joke book:

I think I had shown the one cartoon in the upper corner before. Enjoy it and the rest from this page.


Here is a random picture:


No idea when this was taken or who is in this picture. I thought with it being spring and farmers starting to work their field, I'd show you one from days gone by.

Well, that's about all I have to show today.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.
Don't forget to drop by again Friday for more Fading History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment