Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Helen Balusik: March 25, 1929 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was good a busy. Saturday we spent it with our youngest daughter and her husband for a little while.Then on Sunday we went hiking for what will be the last time for awhile. The reason is because of wood ticks. We had so many on us it told me it was time to suspend it for now. We could start up again in maybe a month or longer.I'll let you know when we start up again.
As for the turkey problem, the alligator is not working. My next step, a pin wheel.
Enough of that, here is the next letter from Helen:



 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                           Phillips, Wis.
                         Mar 23/29
Dear Howard:-
    Well, how are you Howard?
Seems I never take time to
answer my letters anymore
getting lazy on the job- Ha Ha.
I usually like to go out on
Saturday evenings but tonite
its so gloomy out there, I rather
stay home & keeping the home
fires burning.
  I was in town this after
noon had a lovely ride with
my brother. He is such a
dear boy sometimes & then
sometimes just the opposite.
  Him & I intend to go to
church one of these days
seeing its holy week. I'll have
to get him to go for once, altho
he don't go very often.
I bet your brother was glad
to have you back to keep
him company. What would
he do without you?

So, you say you wouldn't
mind having some one to
throw rolling pins at you?
Perhaps you would think
different if it really was so- ha ha.
  But for a fact there is
nothing like being single.
Because its like jumping into from
a frying pan into fire. That's
what I was told- so I believe
it too.
Well, Howard, pretty soon
I suppose you will be start-
ing your garden- are you
going to plant flowers? You
know flowers are the beauty
of this world. I'll have to
plant some for I sure do
love them- and pa he has
no use for them again.
Next week I start house
cleaning- Sure is a dandy
job waiting for me. Have to
do the kalsoming & painting
but won't be able to finish
before Easter I don't think?
Don't you want to come & help?

               2
I bet we wouldn't do much
then, do you think?- Ha Ha.
Anyway I love to work
when there is no one to boss
me. This way, I do it the way
I please it isn't like when
a fella works out for some
of those cranky women.
Have you seen any Robins
yet? The paper tells us some
have seen then already. So that
sure must be a sign of spring
I'm glad of it too. The winters
sure are long & dreary aren't
they?
  Anna Novy is coming to visit
us this summer again. We
sure love that kid- just as
tho she was a sister.
Well Howard, I must sign
off- and answer the others
yet-
         Bye Bye
                Sincerely
                     Helen


I nice polite letter.
I wonder how long it took for them to see the first Robins of the year.
I wonder how long Anna stays with Helen?
Did Grandpa plant flowers that year?

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Both feet of Joseph Sadowski (left) 315 Pulaski av., Cudahy, were frozen Sunday when he car-
ried his wife and two of his three children in his bare feet from his burning home to a neighbor's
house. The temperature was 12 degrees below zero. His wife and two of the children, Lucille, 4,
and Ernest, 12, are shown above. A 2 week-old baby is the other child. Firemen had difficulty
fighting the fire. The damage was estimated at $1,000.         (Journal Staff Photo)

I wonder what started the fire? Where is the baby and how is it doing?
I wonder how far away the neighbor was?

Here is a page from the joke book:

 Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

This picture was taken during someones class trip to Washington. Not sure what year.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment