Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Harriet: April 12, 1929 Chicago, Ill.

Dearest Friends,
I hope everyone had a very nice holiday weekend. Mine was good. The husband and I did go hiking again. It was on the sloppy side because of all the rain we have been getting lately. The wood ticks are still a problem. He had more then I did as usual. I was carrying Bounce dryer sheets with me. I did wipe out once so I got a bit muddy. We will be waiting awhile again because of the sloppiness and our daughter is about to have a baby any day now.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Chicago Ill
                 Thursday Eve
Dearest Sweetheart
Received your sweetest letter and
certainly cheered me up to hear
from you.
Hows the world treating
you anyway. hope as fine
and dandy as it is treating
me.
Gee is it cold here to-day
seems like winter again and
last week it was 84 above
So was quite a difference ha!
What kind of a weather man
is there up in northern Wis.
Has Walter & Archer left for
Chicago and Edward also I
suppose.
Just when are you coming
to Chicago.
Have you heard from Walter
any lately. Haven't spoken to
him for coons age.
Sure was surprised to hear

          -2-
about Marian Cummings.
They are going sane up around
there eh!
Margret had a letter from Catherine H.
to-day. She is working at Spirit
Falls. So Johnnie has some way
to go now. ha! ha!
What is Clarence doing for
excitement. I wrote to him but
he never answered. Just like
him.- Slow but sure eh.
Is Carl Miller married yet.
Saw his old sweetie Dorothy Saderbeck
the other night. Don't mention it
to anybody. will tell you all about
her when I get home. as its a
 long story. She comes to see Margret
as I won't have anything to do
with her. Just ask Walter all about
her. ha!
Well honney its getting to be bed
time for me. So will close with
Heaps of love & Kisses---
                    Your Sweetie
                         Harriet
Answer
at once
SWAK

 It sounds like the weather back then was just as messed up then as it is now. Was that global warming back then too?
 Lots of names mentioned. I only wish I knew more about all of them. Like why didn't she have anything to do with Dorothy. But I know it's a tale I may never hear.
She still keeps mentioning Walter.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Our nomination for the most desolate stretch in these parts is the lake front, where the wind blows snow across the ice formed by the spray.- Journal Staff Photo.

I suppose being on Lake Michigan at that time of the year did feel like it was desolated.

Now here is a page from the joke book:

Enjoy. I like the cartoon with a drunk in the radio station.

And here is a random picture:

On the back it says: "Switching at Macky Spur"

No idea when it was taken. I did have to tweak it a little. The original is a little faded.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment