Friday, May 12, 2017

Harriet: March 12, 1929 Chicago, Ill.

Dearest Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. No real drama, except for dealing with a very annoying tom turkey banging on a basement window. I was getting tired of going outside and chasing him away. So I moved one of my outside ornaments that looks like a alligator and put it by the window. So far the last couple of days no banging. I hope he got the message. I'll keep you posted if he starts up again.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Chicago Ill
                    Monday Eve.
Dearest Howard.
Received your letter and it sure
did seem ages before you did
decide to answer. Of course will
excuse you as you are such
a ways from home.
You aren't very far from
(north pole) are you ha!
Hows the world treating you
up there anyway.
Suppose it is at least cold
enough eh!
It has been regular spring
weather here. So am loving
spring fever_ ha!
So Johnnie is also with you
He hasn't broke up with
Catherine has he?
I was out to see Lilia
yesterday. It takes about two
hours to get there. I sure got
enough of riding and how.
Did you have any pictures
taken while you are up there

            2.
If so don't forget to send me
some.
Gosh I haven't any thing to write
about as everything is the same
as Chicago always is.-
Went to show last night. Saw
Al Jolson in Singing Fool. This was
the 3rd time I did see that
picture. and wouldn't mind to
see it again It sure is swell.
Suppose you have a cute dame
on the string by now.
Suppose they are all sweeping
you off your feet. Just be careful
big boy. Or there might be some
one who would like to interfere
I ain't saying who tho.
Well honney guess its time for
me to be in bed. Altho I don't know
what time it is as I took my
wrist watch to the jeweler to-day to be
repaired- So am just lost without
it.
With heaps of love & kisses
                         Harriet.
                          SWAK
Answer
immediately
Please
                            Greet Johnnie

I wonder where Grandpa was that she said he was close to the north pole.
Who is Johnnie and did he break up with Catherine?
As for Al Jolson in "The Singing Fool"
Image result for al jolson

This was his first "all Talkie" movie that was made in 1928. It did hold the attendance record for 11 years until "Gone with The Wind".
Al Jolson was at one time known for doing some things in black face. But there was a lot more to this man then that. He was a very good entertainer and known to have influenced many singers through out the years.
He died in 1950 at the age of 64 of a heart attack.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Clayton Brown (right) 22, crawled eight miles across ice in Lake Michigan to an Indian's
cabin at Goodhart Mich., Monday night after he, Claude Beardsley (center), 51 and Coast
Guardsman Earl Cunningham (left) had been swept into the lake aboard a skiff during the storm
Saturday. Beardsley and Cunningham froze to death. Brown will live, but may lose feet, doc-
tors said.

I think I already showed you another picture of Clayton Brown before. Claude Beardsley was his father-in-law.

Here is a page from the joke book:

Enjoy. I have.

Finally a random picture:

Her name is Patsy. Someones classmate.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend and for all mothers, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment