Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Harriet: April 30, 1929 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
We finally had a summer like weekend. It was warm 80's but it also rained on Saturday. A few places got to much rain again. Like about 3 inches in a very short amount of time. I'm not sure how much we got here. At least it was dry on Sunday so the husband could start cutting some hay down.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Chicago Ill
                 Monday
Dear Sweetheart
Received your most
darling letter and sure
was glad to hear from
you.
Hows everything and
everybody up around Ogema.
Same as ever. I suppose.
Well what are you
doing to keep yourself
out of mischief ha! ha!
Plenty I imagine_____
Went to a show yesterday
and saw (David Lee) in
Sonny Boy it sure was

         -2-
a good picture. He sure is
a good actor for only 4 yrs old.
Is there any excitement up
there. Has Ranbergs started yet.
Suppose it won't be long now.
Is Alice still at home. Is she
going to Minneapolis with her
Swedish boy friend.
Margaret also has a foreigner Swedish
lad. They must be popular ha!
But this one don't keep his dates
very regular. It sure is a joke tho.
Had a letter from Isabel the
other day. She was so disappointed
in love poor kid.
Her sweetie hadn't written for two
months. So that sounds like an
hopeless cane eh!
Well it won't be long before
I will get my vacation sometime
in July I guess. Sure will
seem a relief to have a rest.
Altho I don't work so terrible hard-
Am going to have my permanent

wave to-morrow night. So you won't
be able to recognize me when you
see me.
Well honney news are so scarce
so guess I will have to sign off this
un-interesting scribbling for this time
will do better next time.
Heaps of Love and Kisses
                                 Harriet
Answer
immediately
Hear
                             SWAK

 
It sounds like having a Swedish boy friend was the thing to have back then. well at least with Harriet anyway.

As for the movie she saw:
Image result for sonny boy movie 1929 film

It had to do with Sonny Boy's parents getting a divorce. It's a bitter one.
The mother sister tries to  hide the boy but he gets away and goes to a movie where by the time the adults find him the song Sonny Boy is being sung.
this film is sometimes silent and other places filmed with vitaphone.
As for the David Lee:
He was in six films between 1928 and 1930. His mother took hime out of films because she wanted him to have a normal childhood.
He was born in 1924 and died in 2008 from natural causes.

I wonder if Grandpa got to see her with her hair permed.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

When the steamer Illinois, became stuck in the ice Wednesday freight was carried by stevedores,
who walk across the ice as the captain, A.K. Hoxie is doing in this picture. Capt. Hoxie, who
had been conferring with the operators of the boat, climbed aboard with the aid of his ladder
and tooted for a tug, which freed the Illinois shortly before noon.     (Journal Staff Photo)

I guess stevedores, is another name for dock workers. I guess I learn something new everyday.
I wonder how many things they had to carry before it was unstuck.

Here is a page from the joke book:

Enjoy.


Here is a random picture:

On the back it says "Me on my same job 1920".

I think it's grandpa. This picture is very faded. I did my best to darken it up.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I have to go and find a way to help an injured hawk that is in a tree at the end of the driveway.
Here is a picture of him.
I'm just waiting for some help getting him safe.
Wish me luck.

I hope you will come back soon for more fading history.
Till then. Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment