Friday, June 30, 2017

Eluira La Lince: July 20, 1929 Minneapolis, Minn.

Dear Friends,
Well it's the end of the week. I hope you had a good week. I did. I was on vacation all week. Plus my birthday was yesterday. The husband and I went hiking. We hiked 9.33 miles. I learned it was also Mud Day and what better way to enjoy it then to go trucking on a muddy trail. It was a good day. we might be going hiking again this weekend, maybe. Weather and field work permitting.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Eluira:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                     Minneapolis Minn.
                    July 29, 1929
Friend Johnson,
   Please excuse this paper, but
it's the only thing we have around
here. Should have answered your
letter long ago but they have been
working me twelve hours a day.
So I am too tired to write after I get
home.
I rec'd the pictures. Thanks for
some. I am sending you a picture
of my sister Elleve and myself.
Gee it's been Raining all day
again. Hope it quits for I want
to drive home tonite and see
my little boy. You didn't know
I have been married and have a
three year old boy. I usually go
home over the week end, for my

mother is taking care of him for
me while I'm working.
I left my husband almost two
years ago. You asked about me
so now you know, oh no you
don't know how tall I am. I'm
five feet and one inch weigh
one hundred and eighteen pounds
gee I must close the boss is coming
in. Will mail this when
I get thru work-
           I remain as ever
            Euire La Lime
excuse paper please.

I'm still not sure how her last name is spelled. So I hope you will excuse my confusion.
Well, she has a three year old little boy. I wonder what grandpa thought about that when he read it.
What would you think?
I wonder why she left her husband.
I wonder what her job was to be working 12 hour days?
She sounds like she is about the same size as me.
I wonder if there was a picture included or if she plans on sending it in a future letter.
I wonder how much rain they were getting around that time.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

To the rescue! The U.S. Coast
Guard Cutter Escanaba, with its tur-
bines strained under the terrific
resistance of the hard packed ice,
breaks its way a few inches at a
time, to free the City of Saginaw
from the clutches of the ice field so
that it could make port at Ludington.

I wonder how long they were able to use this cutter before it was finally replaced.

Here is a page from the joke book:

I wonder if she loved him or not?

Here is a random picture:

Since it is suppose to be haying time, I thought I would show you a harvest from the past.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment