Friday, June 2, 2017

Helen Balusik: April 17, 1929 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
The weekend is finally here. Mine week was uneventful. The weather was not to bad but, this weekend is suppose to be a wet one. I'm not going hiking this weekend because of the weather and the fact the daughter could have her baby any day now. So it will be a chillin' kind of weekend.
So here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Phillips, Wis.
                 Tue. A:M.
Dear Howard:-
   Just before going
out to the field to pick
stones I thought I'd
swipe a few minutes &
write. Pa is getting the
horses ready so I'll
have to hurry. Evenings
I don't get time to write
anymore. Usually some
one comes to disturb
or else I'm busy.
last night I raked
up the yard. Made a
nice fire to burn all
that stuff up & then
few kids came over

so we sat there & talked as
long as the fire lasted. I
sure enjoy being in the country
in the spring, its so different
from the city.
Work is just going to
commence isn't it? Thats
when we all will reduce- ha ha
especially me- and sure won't
hurt for me to loose few
pounds.
So thats why you didn't
mention when you are
coming down. Why don't
you come some saturday
evening early & then we could
go out or else stay here for
the evening if you wished, Sundays
we have S. school so long in
the afternoon and if I didn't
come they would find out the
reason because the neighbors
always tell on me things
like that- But I suppose
it would be harder for you
to make it on a Saturday nite
eh? But you'll have to decide
about that and let me
know when so I can

be home.
Well Howard, I must go now
don't think I'll have time to
mail this even- for the mail
man comes quite early-
I enjoyed your letter very much
& made me laugh to hear
your brother gets letters from
the superintendent- ha ha. so he
has a girl has he? And how about
you?- ha ha. Maybe just as bad???
             Bye Bye
               Your friend
                 As always
                   Helen

I wonder if he ever gets to meet up with her or not.
If it wasn't for her nosy neighbors maybe they would have gotten together sooner.
I wonder who the girl was that Uncle Thomas was seeing. and how long did it last.
To bad I did have some of his letters, then I would know.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

 It May look like winter ( and it is outside), but this picture of the winter queen at Eagle River and her court was taken where it was warm- in the stadium there. The girls are posed on a dog sled being "driven" by Dude Dodge, who wears an Eskimo outfit and are ( left to right) Marjorie Olkowski and Peggy Morgan, the first and second ladies in waiting.- Adams Photo.

I wonder if it was that bad outside that they took this picture inside or if that was the way it was planned from the beginning.

Here is a page from the joke book:

Enjoy.
I like the idea of a barber shaving people outside. Maybe someday we will see it for real.

And finally, here is a random picture:

No idea who she is. But she is a cutie.

Well, that about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend, I know I will.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment