Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Harriet: June 14, 1929 Chicago Ill.

Dear Friends,
I don't know about you but I had a real good weekend.
On Sunday I became a Grandma! I now have a granddaughter. Her name is Lillian Rose. She weighted 7 lb 14 oz. Was born at 4:16 pm. I was in the room when she was born. I haven't got any pictures of her yet but I promise I will show you when I get some.
We also took our oldest daughter out for dinner on Saturday. Her birthday is today. She is 32 years old. They grow up so fast.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

              Chicago Ill
               Thursday night
Dearest Howard
Suppose you thought
I had died as I haven't
answered sooner.
But am all here. ha!
Hows the world treating
you anyway.
Fine as myself i hope.
It has been raining
here for the last few
days.
Well hows the dances
coming along up there

          -2-
Suppose they are all
going strong eh?
Can't wait until I
go home so can take
in some of them.
You asked me who
Isabel was going with
Its August Frisk. Agnes's
brother. You maybe know
him.
But she said in
her last letter that
she wasn't the only
one in love with
him. So she's maybe

          -3-
out of luck. ha! ha!__
Well where are
going to spend the
fourth. I don't know
yet. but would like
to go to Milwaukee on
a boat. That is if the
rest of the gang agrees
on that.
Intend to come home
some where around
the middle of July.
Had a letter from
Alice the other day.
Haven't seen her tho.

             -4-
since she came back
Is there anything
new up there or
are things the same
as ever.
Am waiting for two
of my girl friends any
moment. So guess
I will sign off with
heaps of love & kisses
              Your Sweetie
             Harriet
Answer
Soon
               SWAK

I wonder if Grandpa hung out at any of the dances being held back then.
Was she able to go to any of them when she was able to come up.
I wonder who August  was and why did he have so many girls falling in love with him.
Was she able to ride a boat on the Fourth?
There was a stamp on the front of the letter that says,
"LET'S GO
CITIZENS MILITARY
TRAINING CAMPS"

Every once in awhile there is a something stamped by the stamp. Which is for 2 cents.

Here is a picture from the scrap book"


Way out on the edge of the shore ice off Bradford beach Frank Lamia, 2702 N. Twenty-sixth st.,
saw this ice formation. He was struck by its resemblance to an eagle and took this picture.

It does look like an eagle. Kind of cool.

Here is a page from the joke book:

I enjoyed these. I hope you do too.

Finally, here is a random picture:

No idea what year this was taken. It looks like they are maybe, breaking ground for a new field.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment