Friday, June 16, 2017

Helen Balusik: June 25, 1929 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
The weekend is finally here. It's been one of those weeks where it's been a little to wet for my taste. The weekend is suppose to be more of the same. Maybe it won't be to bad.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                      Phillips, Wis.
                     Monday A:M
Dear Howard:-
     its a week ago since
your letter arrived so must
answer already before I forget
again.
I'm surprised you asked me
where I was that night you came
down because I told pa to tell
you and he said he did-
What makes you think you
have an idea? Did you see me
when I was in Ogema week ago
Saturday night. I thought of you
when I went through there but
couldn't see you anywhere on the
streets- I thought I might see you
and some sheba out for a
walk or ride- ha ha-
I am pretty busy these days
it seems all the work comes
at once. Had some men working
here all last week- It sure gave
me plenty to do, cook & straighten

every thing up.
There was an awful wreck the
other day- Two of the boys I knew
so well got hurt and one is hardly expected
to live. Its really a pity to think
of it all- I suppose it will be
in the paper so you will read
about it there.
Well Howard, as I haven't
anymore to say I'll have to
say goodbye and pitch into
my work again.
                I remain
                 Your friend
                     Helen

Was it me or did this letter feel like she was upset with grandpa?
It sounds like they were always just missing each other.
I wonder what happened to the guy that were in that accident. Did one die?
I suppose I will never know for sure. History faded away.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Traffic on the main line of the Milwaukee road between Chicago-Milwaukee and the Twin Cities was tied up for several hours Thursday when a long coal train spread 22 of its cars over the tracks a mile and a half east of Watertown. This picture shows how the cars zig-zagged and spilled their loads. The eastbound track was cleared at 4:30 p.m. and waiting passenger trains got past. Two wreckers and crews of maintenance men working through the night and cleared up the other line rebuilding 700 feet of track. The coal was destined for towns which have reported a shortage. - Journal staff Photo by Foster C. Stanfield.

Now that was a big job. I wonder what caused it to happen.

Here is a page from the joke book:

I little something for all. Remember this is humor from 1940.


And here is a random picture:

Not sure who this is but, I know someone will tell me.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment