Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Cousin Walter: Aug. 7, 1929 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good. The husband was able to get some hay baled on Saturday. On Sunday we hiked 7.8 miles. The bugs were a bit of an issue but we sprayed ourselves down plus I had my mesh bags with peppermint leaves hanging from my hat. Worked good for me. Husband thought I looked weird. I do suggest you try it.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Walter:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                      Chicago, Ill.
                       Aug. 7, 1929
Dear Howard:-
       Received your letter a
long time ago and have had no
time to answer until now and that's
on company time at that. tell Bert
that I'll get some of those pictures soon.
It always slips my mind but some
one of these days I'll have them made.
No doubt you think I'm a busy man
but then there is always something
to do. Ball games, shows, dates, work etc.
   Bought myself a new
Victor radio last night. All electric
10 tube set with attachment for phonograph
so that records can be played thru
the set & speaker. it certainly is a
wonderful set. Wish you could hear
it.
       Had a letter from your
girl friend the other day which no doubt
you already know as you gave her my
address. So she says. Said that Mrs. B
say I wrote to her. Can you imagine
that?

        My Buddy & I took a trip up
to the Dells a few Sundays ago. It was
nice but nothing to brag about.
Intended to go to Detroit next week
but that's off now as I'm nearly broke
after buying that set.
       Had some real hot weather for
a while but has cooled off somewhat
now.
    Must go to lunch now so will
sign off. Let me hear from you.
                  Best regards
                       Walter
Will get you those dice some one of these days.
Did you finish the "Bad Girl" yet? If so
I wish you'd mail it as some of these buds
around here want to read it.



I wonder if Bert wanted copies of some of the pictures he sent to Grandpa.
I guess Genevieve did write to him. I wonder what else she said besides wanting to know if Mrs. B wrote to him.
I still wonder who this Mrs. B is. Was she a busybody trying to stir up trouble for who ever she could.
I wonder how much he paid for the Victor.
He doesn't sound like he was that impressed with the Dells. Not like Mamie was.
I'm going to have to see if I can find anything out about the book "Bad Girl". It must have been something to have so many guys want to read it.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

This is one of the things that shouldn't be done during the spring thaws. The danger of play-
ing on ice floes is obvious from this picture made of Lincoln creek at N. thirty-fifth st. and W.
Glendale av. The boys wouldn't tell the photographer their names- they said they might get a
licking at home if it was revealed that they had been playing on the breaking ice.

I bet that their parents still knew it was them and they still payed the price.

Here is a page from the joke book:

The best costume there is, A smile! Enjoy.

Finally a random picture:

Joe Wojcik. Class of 1956

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week. Don't forget drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment