Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Genevieve Smith:Aug. 6, 1929 Westboro, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was good. On Saturday we hung out with our granddaughter. She is growing in leaps and bounds.
On Sunday we went for a short hike. Only 5 miles because it did start to rain. On this hike we did come upon a bear. He took one look at my husband and ran. Husband said he could have been about 300 lbs.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Genevieve:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Westboro, Wis
                       Aug 5, 1929
Hi low Honey-
  Here tis Monday Morning
and I haven't answered your
most welcome little yet, so
will do so now.
 Ain't this rain grand
and glorious!
Wasn't you home Sunday
afternoon about 3 o'clock!
We were up to your
place and not a soul was
there. Or at least must have
been sleeping, the "dog"
came out to the road
and said some thing
but I can for stay this
language ha! ha!

Yes B_- lies awful
and especially Mrs. We
went up to Kubis Saturday
Nite, there wasn't many
there we new. Clifford
Larson and Clarence Nicola
were about the only two
Those darn Fins makes me
have a head aches in my
big toe they (all four)
came to our place last nite
and sat in front of the
house and blew that damn
horn& finally I had to go
out side So they asked me to
go with them. But I couldn't
gee whiz the four of them
was just four too many
Leonard Peterson is home

             (2)
over the weekend. Do you
know him?! He used to be
a pretty good friend of mine
Ray wasn't here last
Nite, the first nite for a long
time. What shall I do about
it!___ Darn fool has got
my compact again. I'll crucify
him for that ha! ha!
Where are you going Saturday
evening or are you going to
be a good boy and stay
at home! oh oh!
Mrs. B- asked me for
Walter's address now she
wants to write to him
to. I haven't wrote yet
honest I get so many
letters to write. Don't

know when I'll ever get
them all answered. We
might be up to Bert's
Wed. or Thurs. eve so
You try to be there
around 7:30 or 8, if
we blow the horn come
out.
Really sweetheart it's awful
late (so I must close)
Bushels of love and
kisses- answer soon
write a long letter
please_______How many
more bars of          Your friend
candy have you!         Peggy
Send em' right along
ha! ha_____-

It sounds like they hung out with the same people from time to time.
I wonder how much rain they were getting at that time?
I wonder if at least one of the Fin's liked her and she did not like them back and used the fact that it was because they were Finnish.
I guess I'll never know.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Visitors come aboard. Gulls follow the open water, and with the
ice field gradually closing in across the more than 90 miles of water,
they trail in the wake of the car ferries, seeking food.

It's still a common site to this day.

Here is a page from the joke book:

I wonder what kind of information you would get for a good honeymoon from this guy. Ha! Ha! Enjoy.

Here is a random picture:

I wonder if this was the dog that greeted them when they came visiting.
I remember that one of their dogs, named Lassie, would always greet us with a smile.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment