Friday, July 28, 2017

Eluira La Lime: Sept. 11, 1929 Minneapolis Minn.

Dear Friends,
Well it's the end of another week. It's almost the end of July. Is this year flying by for you as much as it is for me. Sometimes I want to yell and tell the world it's time to slow down and enjoy things more. It's suppose to be nice this weekend. I'm hoping to maybe go hiking. It all depends on if the husband has to bale any hay.
Oh well. Here is the next letter from Eluira:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                 Minneapolis Minn.
                    Sept. 10, 1929
Friend Howard,
  Here goes in answer to
your letter which I received
some time ago but have
been busy working again.
The boss & his wife are on their
vacation so that makes me
work longer hours.
I received your pictures and I
suppose you tho't you would
never get them back- Bert
sure looks the same yet only
he has grown quite a bit.
But I can't remember
what you looked like.
Talk about terrible weather

we sure have had it since
last Thursday it's been a
drizzly rain and cold and how.
How is it out there?
My kid sister is living with
me now, we have a one room
Kitchen & Bath apt. together
she is working in the same place
as I am. So we have
pretty good times together.
We went home Sat. nite
for over Sunday- saw my
little boy again I feel
much better I get so
lonesome if I don't see him
once in a while.
You asked If I remember

Anna. Yes I do. but don't
imagine I'd know her if
I seen her. We were so
young kids then.
Kid Sis & her sweetie are getting
ready to go to a show- So
that will leave me alone
oh well such is life.
I suppose they are all thru
thrashing out there by now.
I will walk to the drug
store and get a magazine
and mail this at the same
time.
        I remain your Friend
       Mrs. Eluira La Lime
           27-West 14th
              Apt 203

I wonder what her job was. it's kind of sad that she was not with her little boy. I hope that later in life they got to be together more often and had a close relationship at some point.
I wonder which pictures he sent to her that she sent back and how often he shared they with others.
I hope she had a good night after she got her magazine.
I wonder how she felt about Bert. I guess it's another thing that I will never know. History that has faded away. Never to be heard of again.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

The Conrad Starke is shown going down the Milwaukee river Monday shuttling aside ice cakes as the first big thaw of spring arrived. This unusual picture was taken from the top of the Empire building.
(Journal staff photo)
It must have been interesting to watch this ship cut it's way through the ice.

Next are a few pages from a different joke book. This book is called "Bedtime Laughs" edited by Paul Steiner. Copyright 1956



I was going to share just two pages but one joke was continued on another page so I had to share another page.
Enjoy.

Here is a random picture:

Grandpa is on the right. Not sure which boys these are. I'm sure someone will tell me.

Well that's all I have to share with you today. Have a good weekend. And don't forget to come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment