Friday, July 7, 2017

Genevieve R. Smith: Aug. 1, 1929 Westboro, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. As for my work week, it was short. The weather is starting to change around here. It's getting hotter. It's July, it's to be expected.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Genevieve:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says. There is a different language at the beginning:

                      Cheero- N.York
                      Oct 65, 1499 B C
Isirald Drawds-
Wigatis! Or don't you
firsta'y Dutch?
  At last I'm back home
for the time being any
way ha! ha! Do you know
what time I got home Sat.
eve! You'd be surprised we
left Kabashis at about 10
or 15 minn to one. and went
down to Medford at about
3:30 and the Hotel was
locked so I could not bet in
so we sat in the car talking
to Stellick the sheriff untill
5:15 then I went and got
my things and quit, went
up to Westboro and

      2
stayed out to Bundicks unt-
ill 3:3o Sunday P.M. Didn't
get home untill Sunday
nite. Ray said he seen you
and Bert Sunday P.M. Did
he! he said you and Bert
blame Mrs. B for me not being
able to go out with you and
Bert. Well she tells me not
to cause you and B. would
be too rough its she says
but of course Ray is alright
You know he is Mamma's
bot, I haven't any thing ag-
ainst them but they try to
boss me too darn much-
Say those jokes were pretty
good kido get some more
honey-
Say listen sweetness
will you go to Kobashes this

              3
Saturday evening. I'm going
up there and plan to see
you to. Look for me hub, and
when Mrs. B, starts to dance
I'll go with you see. Ray
don't care so much any more
he is getting used of it ha ha
Say kido will you please
give me Walters address
so's I can write once
Mrs. B said he wrote to
her. Did he, honest I don't
believe her any more she
tells me too many lies-
am tunning in on the
Radio now so have to stop
pertty much. so you'll
have to excuse my awful
writing have 11 other letters
that must be answered
pertty soon. Ain't that nice
of me to write to you

             4
first ha! ha! - am trying to
write long letter but for
my part I'd rather talk its
much easier for me any way
Well good nite honey boy
and please write to me
very soon and write a long
letter.                  With Love
                          Your friend
                              Peggy
PS                      or Genevieve
I love you big
I love you little
I love you like a little pig
        _____
If you love me as I
love you, there is no
nife can cut our love
into!    S. W. A. K


I tried to figure out if the beginning was Dutch but I could not find the right way to translate the words. Maybe you will have better luck.
I like the way she dated it. I wonder why she used it the way she did. I think she was a very interesting person to know.
I wonder who this Mrs. B. is. She sounds like a real busybody.
I wonder why she wanted to write to Walter. I guess when you write to so many people one more will not matter. I think I would get writers cramp if I wrote to that many people all the time.
I decided to include the misspelled words. More real, not fake.

Here is a picture form the scrap book:

Mist, on the early part of the trip and before the great ice fields were
reached, combined with snow, covered the upper deck of the City of Saginaw
with ice, as shown above. Patches of ice covered the ship.

It must have been a very fascinating story to follow.

Here is a page from the joke book:

 Enjoy.

Here is a random picture:

No idea when or where this was taken. Grandma is the one on the right and I think Grandpa is in the back No idea who the other people are.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment