Friday, July 14, 2017

Mamie: Aug. 6, 1929 Minneapolis, Minn.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. Here is something weird that happened the other day. It stated raining. I looked out the west window, and it was coming down kind of hard. I looked out the window to the east, and it was only lightly sprinkling. I kept watching and waiting for it to rain harder on the east side and it didn't. The sun was even shining but it still poured in the front yard and sprinkled in the back yard. Have you ever seen anything like that?
Anyway, here is a letter from Mamie. Not sure who she was or how often they wrote:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                        Minneapolis, Minn
                       2641 Bryant Ave. No.
                        August 6, 1929
Dear Howard,
      How's the world using
you? I'm having  a dandy
time this summer for I sure
have seen wonderful scenery
and have had experiences
of all types.
Did you miss me at all
or did you even notice
my absence?
I heard you had called
me up around the fourth
or was it the other fellow
Ha Hon. I bet money than
one has wondered as to
where I am.
I spent two months in
Milwaukee also a few
days at Madison on the
way down and up. We
also saw the Dells of the Wis.
By us mean my girl friend and


cousin. The scenery there
is marvelous. Now I am
in Minnie, I came from
Milwaukee a week ago last
Friday I was at Ellen's, stopped
at home for a short time
while Dick was home u know.
Had a plenty chance to see
just about 24 hours.
This city yet this summer
so here I am traveling is
the life for me. I love it.
It won't be long until school
begins again so I'll enjoy
myself while I can. We'll
be staying here for a week
or more. Pearl is here
also. I think I'll spend a few
days or so maybe move
at home before school starts.
Maybe you'll catch me
home then if you wish to do so.
Hoping you have enjoyed
your summer as well as I have
Write if you have time.
I am             your friend,
                    Mamie

I not sure who she is but, I think her name might have been mentioned by someone else before. With her mentioning school, I wonder if she was a teacher or had something to do with school. Maybe I'll learn more in future letters.
It sounds like she had a very good summer seeing some very interesting places that year.
I wonder how well grandpa knew her.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Where there is a ship there is food, as the sea gulls know. They follow the ships and should the cook dare to open his door they would quickly get the scent of food, and storm the vessel. Caution had to be taken upon entering and leaving the galley. Ducks too, were sighted on the trip, but they are more timid than gulls, and were only noted in open water. This photograph was taken a few miles off Ludington, as the City of Saginaw, pushing forward backing up, and ramming forward again into the ice made its way.

I wonder if the gull still follow the ships in the same way today.

Here is a page from the joke book:

Jobs of the day. Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

This is Bruce Johnson. When he was in 2nd grade.  I don't think he was a relative, just a classmate, I think.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment