Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Helen: Aug. 21, 1929 Statesan, Wis.

Dear friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good. I didn't get to go hiking this weekend because the husband had to bale hay. Plus his hip is bothering him so he wanted to take the weekend off from it. I just hope we can go this next weekend. We also did get to visit with our granddaughter. She is growing so fast.
Anyway, here is a letter from a Helen. I don't know if it is the same Helen or not. It looks like her last name might be Silampa. At least that's what it says on the back of the envelope.


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

              Statesan, Wis.
              Aug. 21 1929
Dear friend,
         I received
your letter some
time ago but I
never got the
chance to answer
it. You know we
are kept busy
by eating, sleep-
ing and etc.
   I'm getting
along fine but
this life is get-
ting monotonous.
Imagine a young
person coupled

up in a San.
for Land only
knows how long.
But fight I will
if it means
my health back.
   I'm going to
take a leave of
three days and
go and stay to
Milwaukee by
my sister for
Labor Day. For-
get this life for
awhile.
Excuse my
stationary and
pencil for this
time. Dinner is
here so I'll close.
                Helen

This might be another Helen. I wonder what kind of job she had that she was looking forward to three days away from it. Three day off any job is something I think we all look forward to.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

One of the rich farms of the Sacramento valley in California is shown under water in this air view. This flood, the result of 14 days of rain, has done damage estimated at $500,000 and may be tip-off as to what the middle west may expect.- A.P. Wirephoto.

See California can get a lot of rain too.
I wonder how much this kind of flood would cost in today's economy.

Here are the last three page of the joke book I've been showing you:



 I was not sure if I had shown you the first page because it is a little more ripped. I checked and had not scanned it. The other two pictures are the pages in the middle of the book.
I hope you enjoy these funnies.
I do have another joke book I plan on showing you. If you liked these jokes you will also enjoy the next book.

Finally, here is a random picture:

This is two picture together. The one on the left has what looks like some of Grandpa's and Grandma's children. Not sure who.
The one on the right looks like it could be Grandpa and someone talking by the shed door.
No idea what the year is.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment