Friday, July 21, 2017

Eluira La Lince: Aug. 16, 1929 Minneapolis, Minn.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was, average. No drama. In fact, very hum drum. The weather has been a warmer then I like. But at least we are not getting the rain they are getting to south of us.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Eluira;



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Minneapolis, Minn.
                     Aug 17, 1929
Dear Friend Howard,
 I suppose you tho't I forgot
all about you. Oh no, but
have been working such
unearthly hours- so always
was too tired to write. Now
they changed my hours
work from eleven in the
morning till six at nite
so will have all evnings to
fool around. haven't been
to a show for nearly three
months.
Is there a show house in

Ogema or Westboro. I can't
remember.
My folks remember you.
They live fifty-five miles
from Minneapolis. Its a
nice drive. I drive down
every now and then and
driving in tomorrow again as
I won't have to work Sunday.
You asked if I been back to
Wisconsin since we left. No
I haven't but would like to
awfully well. Will make
a trip there this winter if
I see my way clear.
You asked where Bro John was
he came back from Helena Mont.

Some time ago he left
for Sabula Iowa a week
ago- he has a pretty good
job but he has to travel
all the time- so that makes
it bad.
Will close now so I can get
a good nights Rest.
   I remain a sever
   yours
Eluira La Lince
P.S. The one wearing the hat is myself
excuse the writing- do hope
You'll write again
good-nite


It sounds like a picture was included with this letter but I'm not sure if I have shown it to you or not. Or if it is still in the box of pictures. I will try to show you a picture of someone with a hat on. Maybe it will be the right one or maybe it won't.
I wonder if she ever came back to Wisconsin.
I wonder what Bro Johns job was that he traveled so much. Maybe he was a door to door salesman.
I guess I will never know.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

This may be only the beginning. The northwest side, which has floods even in ordinary years, is
already reporting flooded intersections. In this picture Bud Bornfleth, 4732 N. Fortieth st., is
carrying his sister, Eleanor, over a deep puddle at Forty-first and W. Cortland sts.- Journal Photo.

I wonder if he was always a gentleman or was he just putting on a show for the camera.

Here is a page from the joke book:

 I wonder what kind of new tackle he came up with.
Don't forget your toothbrush to go with the best costume.
Enjoy.


I wasn't sure if I could have shown you the kind of picture she said or not. So I choose another one:

This is Mrs. Nels Johnson. Grandpa's sister-in-law. No idea what year this was taken.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment