Friday, October 6, 2017

Cousin Walter: May 18, 1930 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well, it's the end of yet another week. For me it was uneventful. Which is fine. I just hope the weekend will be nice and quiet. I plan on having a chill out kind of weekend. How about you?
Anyway, here is the next letter from Walter:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Chicago, Ill.
                   May 17, '30
Dear Howard,
        We got back to Chi.
quite safely Sunday Eve at 7 PM
without any mishaps. it took
nearly 3 hours longer to get back
but then I had to drive in
rain for over 200 miles which
isn't so nice and then i stopped
in Milwaukee for an hour or
so to see an old girlfriend
of mine.
      Boy I sure was tired
when I got in Sun. eve as
you know I had no sleep
Sat. nite. Had a date Sun
night but got home about
12. Caught a cold in my eye
coming back but it's getting
better now.
      Am coming up to
get Ma Decoration day May
30th and may bring the girl
friend along. If I do remember

don't say anything about taking
those girls up to the dance. We
just took them home and that's
all. No kissing or anything.
Please remember that as I
 know she'd be sore if she knew
I told her that we took your
girlfriend and her friend home
from the dance. In case
she doesn't come with me
I'll drop Harriet a note and
get a date with her for Friday
the 30th. Let me know what
her address is and it it's OK.
with you as perhaps you may
still have some strings on
her.
       I certainly enjoyed
myself up there and am looking
forward to the coming up of the 30th
Have some beer on ice as it's
the best in either Ogema
or Westboro.
     Let me hear from you
this week sure
                  Your cousin
                    Walter
Greet Thomas

Well it sounds like he was up visiting with Grandpa for awhile.
I wonder if his girlfriend found out about his betrayal.
He sounds like he got around.
I wonder what kind of beer they sold in Ogema and Westboro that it was the best.
Did he and his mother come back up at the end of May/
Information that has faded away. Never to be known again.

Here are a couple of pictures from the scrapbook:


The Racine fishing tugs, which haven't been out for six weeks, received novel aid Thursday after-
noon in the form of some ice breaking by a coal crane, shown above in two views. The picture
below shows the device actually hitting the river ice. The tug is the J.B. Gagnon.- Journal Photos.

I wonder if this is something they still do today. I doubt it.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



Some more school dazes laughs....Enjoy...

Finally, a random picture:

Just a random logging picture. No idea what year it was taken.

Well that's all I have for you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment