Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Harriet:1929? Wednesday, Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was quiet. I spent Saturday by myself because the husband and our oldest daughter went to a Badger game. We all had a good day. On Sunday, not much shopped a little for the week and then just stayed home. No drama.
Anyway, here is a letter from Harriet. it might have been written a different year. No postmark because the stamp was taken. Thank you Uncle Peter.:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

             Chicago Ill.
             Wednesday
Dearest Honney bunch,
Received your sweet
letter this morning and
sure was glad to hear
from you again.
So you are working up
north now. Suppose you
have a cute dame on
the string by now.-
I have such a cold so
stayed home to-day seems
nice to have a rest once
in a while.
I just finished having
breakfast and imagine
it is 11 bells. ha! ha!

            -2-
So am a lady of leisure to-day.
Have you plenty snow and
cold up there.
It sure is plenty cold enough
here. Almost like the north pole
if you know what that's like-ha
Well haw does Johnnie feel
to be away from Catherine. Suppose
he's love sick. eh--
like all the rest of em.
Am going to see one of
my girl friends dancing on
the stage to-morrow night.
It's her first time on the stage.
 She works the same place
as I do.
Margaret also stayed home to-day
so we are having a good time
doing nothing ha!
Oh yes I think of you honney
wishing you was here with
me to keep me from getting
lonesome.
Which I so often do.
Do you go home every week-
end. So Clarence didn't want to

go with. Must be some attractions
up around that part of the country.
Say Howard you ought to
keep better track of Hattie
Has she got the Chicago "Sheikh"
and how? Marge
Hope you don't believe it kid.
Well dinners ready so guess I
will sign off. with heaps of love & kisses
                           Your Sweetie
                             Harriet
Answer
Immediately                  SWAK


Like I said, I'm not sure what year this was. But at least it was during winter at sometime.
 I wonder who her friend was that was dancing on stage.
Whenever it was, Grandpa was working at one of the logging camps.
There was a picture included with this letter.

If I remember right, in one her letters she mentioned including a picture in one of the letters. But at that time I could not find it. Well, here it is. I'd have to go back and look at the other letters to find it. Then I would know when it could have been written. Unless you want to find it. Just look up Harriet on the side. I'm sure you find where it should have been. I'll do it later. I think it was from 1929.

Here is a picture from the scrap book, 1936:

A wrecker is shown Thursday putting an interurban back on the tracks at St. Martins, where it went off the track earlier in the day. There were no passengers on the car and the crew was unhurt. It was bound for East Troy.- Journal Staff Photo.

It must have been interesting to watch this happen.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



 Enjoy.

Well since there was a picture included with the letter, I decided not to show another one.
I hope you enjoyed this post.
Don't forget to come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment