Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Harriet: Jan. 14, 1931 Oak Park, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well, my weekend was nothing I thought it would be. The husband still can not step on his foot. So I have to help him with other things around the house that he usually does. Like helping him feed his cattle. I'm hoping he will heal fast so we can get back to normal around here. I hope everyone's Halloween is a safe one.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:



As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Oak Park Ill.
                 Monday Eve
Dearest Howard,
Received your card
and thinks for same
and also excuse me
for not writing sooner.
Well how is every
body at Ogema & westboro?
Fine I do hope.
    So you have moved
to the big city of Westboro
now.
   I went to see (Allen
Shrattbult.) Saturday night
He sure was comical
and they sure had a crowd

         =2=
By the way what is new up
around there. Anybody gotten
married lately?
             How did you spend
New years eve. I went to a show
and from there to a party so had
a dandy time.
Ostrid Carlson left for Florida
to-day with the people she works
for. Ain't that grand?
        What is Bert doing thru
winter. and who is his latest?
Have you any snow down there.
It has been trying to snow here
all day. but can't succeed.
  Had a letter from Minnie the
other day. She still can't forget about
climbing ladders. ha! ha!
You better get her in practice
again, or haven't you any more
beer-
How's Margret. Send her my
best regards. or maybe you better
not.
Now don't be so evil minded Howard.
  Is Anna R. home thru winter
or is she still in Canada.
you will be getting tired of me

                 3
al asking all these questions.
So I am so sleepy can hardly keep
my eyes open any longer. So better
ring off for this time.
      With hopes of a speedy answer
                            lovingly
                               Harriet
                          614 No Grove Ave
                          oak Park Ill.

I know I got a lot of the names wrong. So I'm sorry. I wish I could have gotten the comics name right. I tried to look up comedians from 1931 hoping to find a spelling close to what she wrote, but could not find one. Maybe you can.
I wonder why she told him not to be so evil minded. I wonder what he said?
I guess I'll never know.
I wonder if Minnie had one to many beers and was climbing ladders. It sounds like they were having some fun.
I do wonder how much snow they had that year.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

Because of deep snows, grouse and pheasants in the Kettle Moraine district near Elkhart lake
have been sorely in need of food. Among those feeding the birds was George La Budde (right)
of Milwaukee, whose summer home is in the area. He is shown here with Eugene Cole, Oshkosh. The
snow was so deep it was necessary to use snowshoes.

See there were very thoughtful people even back then when it came to caring for wildlife.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



Laughs for the working man. Enjoy.

Finally, a picture from a past winter with a reminder of what is in store for us very soon.

All I can say is Brrrrrrrrrr. Not ready for it.

Well, that's all I have to say today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment