Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Mary Kauer: Oct. 7, 1930 Dousman, Wis.

Dear Friends,
Well, it's Tuesday. I hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was a half and half one. Rained all day Saturday. Was sunny and warm, Sunday. But now it's feeling more like Fall, finally. I'm still not ready for what's coming. You know cold and snow. Maybe lots of it? We'll see.
Anyway, here is a letter from Mary Kauer:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

           Dousman, Wis.
           Oct 7, 1930
Dear friend Howard:-
I s'pose you think I
didn't get your letter,
it's so long ago.
But whoever told
you I was home didn't
know what they were
talking about. I s'pose
you know that Joe &
Mary Schneider got married.
Well, they're staying at
home this summer and
I s'pose that's who they
meant. They have a
little boy now, he was
born last month the 7th.
No, I'm not mad
about that stuff you

told me, I had forgotten
all about it.
  But I was awfully
surprises to hear from
you as someone had
told me you were getting
married. I s'pose they
were just handing me some
bunk. And then Mary
sent me a clipping out
of the paper saying that
there had been a big
paty party in your
honor.
How is your mother &
Thomas? Is Anna Roseen
and Hannah still home?
As ever your friend
                Mary
or won't you be my friend any
more if I tell you that I'm engaged?

Well it's been awhile since there was a letter from Mary. I wonder why Grandpa was trying to get back in touch with her now. Well, I really don't have to guess, I kind of know he was still looking for a wife. I guess he thought maybe he would see if there could have been a connection between them yet. But I think, that what ever went down before was something that was hard to get past. At least for her. I wonder if I'll ever find out what he said to here that ticked her off. I think with this it's best to just let it go.
I looked up where Dousman is. It's in Waukesha County. Which is in the southeast of Wisconsin.
Today the population is about 2,317. In 1930 it was 256.It sounds like a nice small town.
At one time it was referred to as "Bullfrog Station" because of the numerous bullfrogs in the area.
Their baseball team is known as the Dousman Frogs. They also have an annual frog jumping competition during Dousman's Derby Days. I wonder when this happens. It would be interesting to check out sometime.

Here is a picture from the scrap book: 1936

 (Under 1st picture)
The Archie Tegtmeyer is shown Tuesday afternoon smashing
through 33-inch ice to its dock near the Becher st. bridge after
the fist day's fishing the fleet here has had in three weeks. The
tugs were again idle Wednesday due to the east wind.

(under 2nd picture)
The fishing fleet found nets pretty well torn. Capt. Joe Adrian
of the Anna examines his net after returning Tuesday after-
noon. Only about half the nets could be raised.

I wonder what kind of fish they were fishing for at that time.

And here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":1956



The ups and downs of married life. Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

One of these girls could be Mary, maybe.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment