Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Mamie: April 23, 1930 Ogema, Wis.

Dear friends,
I will say I did have a good weekend. But in other places, not good. I'm still trying to figure out how the horrible shooting happened in Vegas. So many innocent people that lost their lives or where hurt. I hope there is some sort of answer to why. I saw a video Monday morning from someone's phone. What I could not believe was some girl was running by in the background, holding her phone up taking a video of herself running away. For me, that would be the last thing I would do while trying to get away. I do not need that kind of reminder of what happened. I guess I'll never understand that generation based on that kind of ego.
Anyway, here is a letter from Mamie:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                        Ogema, Wisconsin
                         April 23, 1930
Mr. Howard Johnson:
     Ogema, Wis.
Dear Sir:-
  I am very sorry that you are
angry with me. Nothing hurts me more
than to know that somebody is angry
with me, you can ask Mrs. Swanson
she can tell you.
I suppose I acted strange after
you were so kind to come and get me
but if you knew how I felt Sunday
and the family troubles at my home
I think maybe you'd understand what
condition my nerves were in. I'm sorry
the school year has to end with
hard feelings I know I did not intend
it too.
  I am glad you sent in a bill it
makes me feel better because I know
they were both hard trips.
I also am thanking you for the

kindness you have shown me
during the year do not think that I
do not appreciate it. I will return
the books before I leave thanking you
again.
Hoping we all hard feelings may
disappear. S'cuse writing I'm writing on
my lap.         Sincerely
                     Mamie

I wonder what was going on between them then. Was she the girlfriend that has been mentioned by others or just a friend? Were they friends in later years?
Questions that will never be answered. They have faded away never to be known again.

Here is a couple of pictures from the scrap book:

(1st picture)
The cats around the fish shanties have been on a long fast but
this tabby shown feasting upon a bloater tossed her by a fish-
erman. It still looks like lean Lenten season though.

(2nd picture)
Capt. Bill Bearman of the Archie Tegtmeyer, who returned
with one of the largest catches, holds up a five-pound trout.

Smells a little fishy to me..Ha! Ha!

Here are few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



Ah school daze..... Enjoy........

And finally a random picture:

If I'm not mistaken, this is my aunt Jeanie. Not sure how old she is here. She recently had a birthday.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will find yourself coming back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment