Friday, October 27, 2017

Mary Kauer: Jan. 9, 1931 Dousman, Wis.

Dear Friends,
Well it's the end of yet another week. This weekend will be Harvest Days. Your trick or treating. On Sunday there will be a Halloween parade. Not sure right now if I will go. It's suppose to be on the cold side. I think I might stay where it is warm.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary Kauer:



As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

              Dousman Wis.
             Thurs. Eve.
Dear Friend Howard:-
  It's been quite a while
since I had your letter
but you'll have to excuse
me. we were awfully busy
then. we had a gang of
men here and I was home
for a while after that;
and you know how it
is around Xmas time.
I was breaking my neck
trying to get some Xmas
shopping done.
I tho't I'd see Anna R.
while I was home. Rose
said she was working at
Bogumills. Margaret is
working in town so I

called her up and told
her. She went up to the store
to see her but then Anna
was gone already. I saw
by the Harold  that she
was sick and that you
and Anna Hannah took her home.
Gee, I'm sorry to hear
that your mother is dead.
My grandmother died a
year ago last August. She
was real helpless all that
summer. It must be hard
for Roseens not to have
Nels, but I guess there is
nothing anyone can do.
I s'pose the Lord knows
what's best for us. Give
them my sympathy. And
also best wishes for a Happy
New year even if it is

rather late. And the same
to you.
You wanted to know
when I'm getting married
Well, I don't know yet
but not for awhile. It's
not so easy now that work
is so scarce. You wanted
to know what he looks
like. Well, he's just as tall
as I. k quite fat, has black
hair and a mustache once
in a while.
   So long and I guess
I better not write any
oftener but wish me
luck anyway and I hope
you'll be happy too
              As ever your friend
                    Mary
My writing hasn't
improved any.

It sounds like Mary was still coming around from time to time. At least that year.
I wonder how long it was before she got married.
I think she said he was fat. It must have been love.
And yes, her handwriting has not improved at all. Still a little hard to read from time to time.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

'Sorry, Bossie, but Chicago Wants Its Milk an Hour Earlier'

I'm thinking this might have been around the Spring time change.

Here are few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



Enjoy.

Finally, here is a random picture:

This might be a picture of Mary and I might have shown you it before.

Well, I did start writing this post yesterday when all was fine. But today, all is not so good, for the husband. He was hurt at work last night. He some how got his foot a little smashed between two carts at work. They say it is a contusion. He thinks it might be broke. I guess we might have to wait till the swelling goes down. I'll try to keep you posted.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment