Friday, October 20, 2017

Edna: December, 18, 1930 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good week. Mine was quiet. The weather was good. But soon it will be turning cooler once again. I think most of the trees around here have lost their leaves and the corn field next to me has been taken off. Now to get the firewood in the basement. Then we will be set for the coming weather.
Anyway, here is the last letter from 1930. It's from Edna aka Eddie:

Since it is a nice typed letter, I will not rewrite it. But I can comment on things.

She mentioned the Blackstone Hotel.
Image result for blackstone hotel chicago history
It was built between 1908 and 1910.
It has gone through a lot of things over the years.
It is known as a place where a number of presidents have stayed.
It also holds a number of lavish parties for well known people.
It was and is a formal kind of place. I can understand why she wasn't sure if she was going to attend.

I wonder how long she was up here. It might have been a quick one or a busy one that she was unable to see Grandpa.
I wonder how often they were entertained with accidents on the street below when they were working.
Oh well, that's the end of 1930. The next will be 1931.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

The front trucks of this street car went north on S. First st. and the rear turned west into Greenfield av. The cause-a split switch. Result- a traffic tie up of about an hour Tuesday afternoon.- Journal Staff Photo.

It looks like this accident was the entertainment that day, for awhile anyway. It must have been an interesting thing to watch happen. I suppose the passengers got a thrill they were not expecting.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



For all those that like silly questions. Enjoy.

Staying with the idea of accidents, here is another one from the past:

Grandpa is the one on the right. I'm not sure if I have shown this one before. Not sure what happened here.

Well, that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you all have a good weekend.
Don't forget to come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment