Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Edna: Feb. 26, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was good. On Sunday my granddaughter, Lillian Rose was baptized. She was such a good girl. No fussing or crying. I now have a lot of meat in the freezer. From the deer the husband got with the bow. So good weekend.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Edna:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                        February 26, 1932
Dear friend Howard:
  I suppose you think I am a fine one
for waiting so long before answering your
most welcome letter. Really, Howard, I
have a very good excuse this time.
Linnea is in the hospital = has been
for almost 3 weeks now and naturally,
I have tried to be with her as much as
possible. She got a very bad attack at
work and they sent her to the hospital
on Saturday. She had been quite sick
all week and had to be sent home several
times, but we thought it was the "flu"
as everyone seemed to be having it. She
was operated on Tuesday morning. I am
so glad she is getting along so nicely. The
minister's daughter works in the office at
the hospital and she comes up to see
Linnea everyday. The minister came up
to see her also the first Saturday after
she was operated on. I think she might
come home tomorrow or Saturday.
I suppose you know Edward has
also been in the hospital again= only for
a few days tho'. they had to have him
there in order to make the proper tests, etc.

He came home Tuesday. He didn't have to
stay in bed, so he was in Linnea's room
quite a lot. The reported he got was quite en-
couraging. I do hope he will soon be
well.
What are you doing now? Are you still at
Roseen's? Just be sure to keep busy enough to
keep out of mischief.
 We didn't work Monday afternoon=
Washington's birthday. I spent it at the
hospital.
Well, my boss just came in and wants
to give me some dictation, so will have to
put on the brakes. My pen doesn't seem to be
so hot anyway.
Write and give me the dirt whenever
you find time.
                   as B/4
                    Eddie

Well, it sounds like not everyone was doing very well. I wonder if Linnea had a problem with her appendix like Edward or if her problem was something else. I hope that Edward did not have to stay in the hospital to often. Today those kind of stays would really break the bank for one person.
I do wonder what kind of dirt he shared with her. I wish I could have seen something he wrote to someone so I could know how he wrote. Oh well, history that has faded away never to to known again.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

Melting snow and rains have caused rivers in western Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota to
overflow their banks, inundating lowlands and causing considerable  damage. Here is the
hotel in Houston, Minn., surrounded by flood waters of the Root river. (associated Press Photo)

I wonder how often this hotel had to deal with this problem and if it still is around today. If not, what is in it's place.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime laughs". 1956:



It pays to advertise and a little over seas humor. Enjoy.

Finally a random picture:

No idea who took this picture. But I think it was taken during someones trip out west. Someone might be able to tell me who's car this is.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
It's a bit foggy here so I hope everyone stays safe.
I hope you drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment