Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Edna: June 17, 1931 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. It was the opening of gun deer season here. The husband did get an eight point buck on Sunday. I think my freezer will be very full after we get this one back. I think I know what some people will get for gifts from us from time to time.He still wants to sit some more. He can still get a doe if he wants. With no snow on the ground it makes hunting more challenging.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Edna:








 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   June 17, 1931
Dear friend Howard:
Well, I am just sitting here
doing nothing, so thought
I would answer your letter.
You know, your un-
answered and time on my
hands, I could not
b truthful in saying "I

haven't had time." Could I?
With this letter on the way
I will be caught up
on my correspondence,
and that sure is a
treat.
Well, what are you
doing these days to
keep out of mischief?

            -2-
I suppose all your crops
are coming up= or I
should say increasing
in size, for I suppose
they are all up by now.
You see, Howard, it is
quite sometime since I
was a full-fledged farmer
so I am sorry and ashamed

to admit my ignorance
after being absent so long
from it. I really have
quite forgotten just when
the different  crops are
planted, etc. I hope some
day to be able to stay
home long enough to
get this all straight again.

            -3-
I really haven't much news
this time as all I have
been doing is sewing and
I am sure boys are not
interested in such things.
Saturday was not a
legal holiday but our
office manager was

going to look for a house in
one of the suburbs, so he
would not be able to hold
the weekly meetings, so he
decided we should all
declare a morning of
leisure. So it seemed
rather funny not to be
going downtown for a
couple of days. Even

            -4-
tho' I didn't go to the office
to work I certainly made
myself busy at home.
Well, Howard, I hate to
disappoint you, but I am
afraid you shall see me
this summer again. I
am planning on coming
home on my vacation.

I am very much disappointed
that Linnea and I can't
get ours at the same time,
but it looks very much
as tho' we can't do so.
I hope you like this
fancy bit of unique
stationery.
            As B/4
             Eddie

Not a whole lot here. It seems long but the papers were small.
I do wonder if she did come home on her vacation that summer. If so was she able to hang out with Grandpa for some of it.
I hope her boss was able to find a new home to his liking.
I wonder what kind of things she was sewing.
Some boys today, are interested in sewing. I have one male cousin who enjoys sewing quilts. He can do a very amazing job.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

 Part of Ernest Kalb's suspended sentence provides that he re-
move his personal property from the town of Sharon farm
from which he was evicted. Here deputies are shown as they
start to move out his furniture. Journal Staff Photo.

This picture is connected to the last one I shared.
Can you see deputies today helping like this to move someone out of their house when they are being evicted?

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



Sometimes I try to figure out how to show some of the jokes when they are on two pages. This is what I decided to do this time.
Enjoy.

Now, a random picture:

No clue who they are, when it was taken or where this is. it is starting to fade away. Notice the brown spots.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope everyone, in the US have a very good Thanksgiving. Try not to get to stuffed with all the good food that will be served.
Afterwards don't forget to drop by for some more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment