Friday, November 10, 2017

Harriet: Feb. 7, 1831 Oak Park, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well I hope everyone had a good week. Mine was quiet. No additional dramas. The husband is still dealing with his foot. He did cut some firewood. I put it in the basement. So we have some wood in the basement but will have to put more in at a later date.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:



 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Oak Park Ill.
                  Friday Aft.
Dearest Howard,
Am sorry I didn't
get to answer your letter
sooner. But will try and
do so next time.
      Well are you
working hard these days?
So am I. Don't you re-
member we were always
suppose to work hard for
a living ha! (superstitious)
we are.
  Have you any snow
up in that part of the
country yet.

      -2-
We haven't any here. We are really
having Florida weather- ha!-
I hear that you are having
quite a few parties at your house.
I bad I am not there & enjoy
some of them. What do you say?
Who does all come any of them
up north. Suppose Minnie is there.
   Had a letter from her yesterday.
reminding me of climbing ladders
again ha-
Do you ever see Clarence. What
is he doing for excitement-
I also heard that Dorthy M.
is married. Gee they sure are fast
up in that country.
   Wonder who's next. maybe you
Howard.
Had a letter from Gladys C. today
and also a picture of her and her boy
friend. So maybe there will be some
more wedding bells ringing-
  Yesterday was my day off so
bummed around so much that I'm
really tired or sleepy which ever it is.
Had a permanent so was in the
beauty parlor 4 hr so who wouldn't
get tired.
One has to suffer to be beautiful. they say ha

                 -3-
Gee I haven't any news. So will leave
it up to you to tell me some.
how's that?
  So guess I will ring off for this
time. With hopes & an speedy answers.
                   Love
                   Harriet
Answer
soon

641 n. Grave Ave

 Not a whole lot of much here. I wonder how often she got her hair done with a perm.
How many of their friends were getting married?
Was it as warm up here as it was in Oak Park at that time?
It sounds like Grandpa was a kind of party animal back then. I wonder how big his parties were and how often he gave them.
Just information that has forever faded away.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

 The spring thaw has caused a rise in the Milwaukee river and the result is this striking-but not foreboding-picture of the stream out of its channel. Ice cakes are shown churning past a willow tree growing along the banks of the river, north of the Capital drive bridge. trees in that area are so close to the river that a rise of a few inches surrounds them with water.-Journal Staff Photo.

I wonder how often this tree had to put up with this kind of ice and how long did this tree live?

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



A little fashion and a little advertising. Enjoy.

Here is a random picture:

Just a random logging picture. No idea when this was taken or who is in the picture.

Well, that's all I have to share with you to day.
Stay warm. It's almost below zero here. I just hope the weekend will be a little warmer. I'm not ready yet for cold temps.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment