Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Edna: Feb. 7, 1931 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well my weekend was quiet. I did have to help the husband with things because he is still having problems with his foot.  But he is back at work. I just hope it's not to stressful for him then usual. it can be bad without the foot problems.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Edna aka Eddie:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Chicago, Ill
                  Feb. 7, 1931
Dear friend Howard:
Your recent letter was
very welcome since it
was the first one to
be received in our new
home.
We have moved into
the cutest kitchenette
apartment. We have 2
rooms and a dressing
room. Everything is
so nice and clean.
It is newly furnished
and up-to-date.
This is just temporary,how-
ever, as a 3-room apart-
ment on the third floor
will be vacant in about
3 weeks and we would
prefer that. That will have
a private bath also.
We had to get some place
for Edward and my
aunt didn't have room
for all of us, now that
Gladys & Edward are
both here, so we de-
cided the best thing to
do was to get some-
thing like this. You see,
he has to have

special foods, and if he
got a room somewhere
he would no doubt
have to eat out, which
he can't do. It certainly
is nice to have him
here with us. I only
hope he will improve
physically.
This is Saturday morn-
ing= meetings over-
everybody going home
early; therefore nothing
to do. I have been
very busy during the
past 2 weeks, as one
of the girls has been
home ill and I have
been doing her work
besides my own. I
didn't have to, but
all her men came to
me with their requests,
and I like her very
much.
This afternoon I am
going home to sew. I
am getting frightfully
ambitious in my old age.

I am glad your parties
turned out good. Too
bad so few girls came.
Wish I could have
been there. I am sure
I would have en-
joyed it very much.
It would be very
nice of you to "drop"
in to see my Daddy
& brother. I am
sure they get lone-
some now since
Edward is gone.
Write when you
find time. I am
sorry I have no news
this time. I have been
too busy to go to any
shows. Last week
I went to see a play
"Lesistrata" with
Doris, but we
didn't enjoy it at
all.
       as B/4
          Eddie

My new
address is
3444 Elaine Pl.
 Chicago

I hope they were able to get into the bigger apartment when they thought they would.
Edward must still have been have problems from the burst appendix. I wonder how long it took him to start living a more normal life.
As for the play she mentioned, if she spelled it right it is a Spanish comedy based on a comic book by German cartoonist Ralf Konig which is loosely based on the play Lysistrata by Aristophanes. A play that is about women trying to get their men to stop fighting each other by with holding sex.  I suggest you look it up on Wikipedia to understand the play. I wonder if it was the same one she saw. If it was, wow.
I wonder how often Grandpa had a party.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:


 The pedestrian tunnel at N. Thirteenth st. and W. Wisconsin av.
is flooded and closed to everyone but boys with hip boots like
those of Raymond Johnson, 1319 N. Twelfth st. -Journal Photo.

I wonder, does this tunnel still exist to and does it still get used?

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



 Laughs for the fashionable. Enjoy.

And here is a random picture:

I think this might have been taken during someones class trip. No idea who this is. Do you?

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment