Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Gladys: July 12, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a very good New Years Day. Mine was just right. So far so good for the new year. I hope it continues for the whole year.
Here is the next letter from Gladys:







As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

Passavant Hosp. Tuesday morning
                              4:30/ A.m.
Dear Howard:-
Do excuse this black paper
but I have no letter paper
with me down here at
the Hospital and oh: what
a night I've had. I'm so
near dead so it I never
get this done you'll know
what happened to me.
She has sure run me
ragged for the last 9 hrs.
straight & I am a wreck.
So glad to get your letter
& see you are busy also.
You mentioned 3 farms

Where is the 3rd one?
Yes haying time has
come again & I'm sure
Ed & Roy are busy also.
Now that Dad is not able
to help them. Honest I
am dreadfully worried
about him & oh! home
I should love to be
there with him, but I
just cannot give up
my good case. The cast
was removed about 10 days
ago and of course we've
had 10 hellish days. You
may be sure since then.

Last wk. her sister Mrs.
Augur had a friend of hers
up for dinner with us.
and at the table she
asked me if when I was
through here is I'd
promise to come to her.
She is going blind slowly
has a lot of money & is
a widow her daughter
being married in California
So maybe I have a new
job if ever this one
is finished. Thank
God for that because
jobs are no more it seems.

So you celebrated the 4th
Well I slept most of the
day, sewed a bit & then
went to work at 7/00 P.M.
So had a very unexciting
day same as any other.
Sunday I got up again at
noon & went to have dinner
with the Iuderriedius. You
know where I was so long
There are only 2 girls left
in that 36 room house. it
is awful & they can't rent 2
sell the way things are
Now 4 mothers & 1 sister
died in 5 yrs. You know
they have factories all

over N.S. and Grayslake
Wisc. & Rice Lake Wis. You
maybe know both of those
places. well the peas have
sort of burned up on them
so things are tough. Their
businesses in canneries and
they can Peter Pan brand.
Yes! I read in the paper
about the ball player
being shot.
Gee! I would love to
have seen Inez. It's 2
years since we saw
her.
Eddie is leaving for

the Ozarks Sat. with
a girl friend of Gladys
Holm. Who has her own
car & they are going to
visit friends for 1 week.
Eddie was afraid of a
lay off you know. and
she almost fainted
when they gave her
2 weeks vacation with
pay. She never dreamed
she'd get that this year.
well must get busy
& fix my flowers. Gee
flowers are nice but

I'm almost sick of them
as Miss Avery has such
a quantity all the time
I really don't know what
I've been writing as I've
been interrupted 40  "
times since I started-
well so long old timer
& give my regards to
Tom & write me all
the news.
          as ever
           Gladys
399 Fullerton pky. c/o Avery


It's always a treat trying to rewrite her letters. But I think I got most of it right. There were a couple of words I know I got wrong.
It was good to hear that Eddie still had her job. It was that time where jobs were very had to come by.
I wonder how long she was with Miss Avery and she ever took the other job.
It was also very hot at that time. The peas dried up from the lack of rain I think.
I wonder who the ball player was that was shot and did he survive?

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:


Town of Milwaukee workmen are shown using a power saw to cut channels in the ice of the
Milwaukee river near Silver Spring road. It is hoped to provide a place for expected flood
waters to flow.

I hoped their plan worked.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Got to love these jokes. Very fitting today.

Finally, here is a random picture:

I thought since she mentioned haying, I would show you something to do with haying.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment