Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Anna: Nov. 10, 1932 Gary Ind.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good, even though it was a short one. I just hope I do not have to work next Saturday. I feel so much better if I can have two days off from work. A number of people in my family have been dealing with the flue. Mine cold is finally done. It better not come back. I say enough is enough.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Anna:



As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                           Nov 10, 1932
Dear Howard
     Forgive me for not answering
your letter sooner I am not so
good right know because I have
a broken arm but I hope you feel
fine. The weather is bad out
here it is snowing and it
very cold. You write in the
letter that you were at a basket
social at the schoolhouse. And
said that you wish that I was
there.boy do I wish that I was
there I would give anything
to go out there. You give me
one of you boy friends don't know
how to address the letter because

you give the name like this
Frank Kelly Ogema Wis is
that all the address. Will you
please ask him to send one
of his picture to me. please
then we send one back.
How is thing out there gee I shore
wish that I was out there
You ask me if I had a picture
of my self but haven't got one
right now I am taking some
as soon as I get it I will
send you one How is the jobs
out there. How is the parties out
there do you go to parties out there
gee this is all I can write
know my cousin Anna is
(written along the side)
left hand Estelle.

here know she ask me to write
                            the letter. forgive
and say hello I E. sister that writing
Dear Howard:              Anna Oros
             I thought I'd drop
you a few lines, as for being over
my cousin's house I thought I'd
also write a few lines, How are
you getting along, Gee i'm getting
along fine, as for a job I haven't
any, but I hope I'll get one soon
have you been skiing or going
to parties dancing I hope you
enjoying yourself I wish I was
there well I'll close now don't
forget to answer my letter as
for me I'm writing twice to you
now        your True Friend
                 Ann E Jean cousin

I wonder how she broke her arm?
Not a whole lot here. It sounds like Grandpa is still going to basket socials.
It does sound like she really wants to be "There". I wonder if she was ever able to visit.
I think that two Ann's wrote this letter or maybe the cousin's name was Jean.
I wonder if the second writer was able to find a job.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

The cold weather has temporarily halted the smelt run, but whenever it starts these outfits which have been erected at the water's edge near Michigan end of the Marinette-Menomonee bridge are ready for them.-Journal Staff photo.

If your from Wisconsin you will know all about smelt time. For those of you who don't know what they are, they are small fish. In May there is a Smelt Fry at the fire hall.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

Washington Monument taken from the Jefferson Memorial.
Taken during someones class trip.
Not a real good picture, but it was taken and kept.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment