Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Gladys: Nov. 23, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was quiet. The weather right now, could be better. Snow and ice. I'm just hoping it does not stay around very long. I'm starting to really crave warmer weather. How about you?
Anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:




As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                Chicago Ill
                 Nov 23-32
Dear Howard:-
   Got your letter yesterday
and glad to hear all the news
of the club- I think it
would be a grand idea
to build a log cabin
on the order of a hunting
lodge and I am sure
every one would cont-
riute some thing to
furnish it
Do write & tell me
all about that big
buck for the banquet
If you don't get one
you'll maybe have to
donate your twins
for a veal barbecue.
Well I hope you'll
have a nice Thanksgiving
I have to work my 24
hrs tomorrow as its

shift day and Miss Gus-
tafson's minister will be in
from Rock Island. So good
for her that it was my
turn to do the 24 hrs.
every body will be out so
Miss Avery & I will be
alone and you know
she is very low so we
don't plan on much
around here.
Mrs. Lukes (Ebba Holt) phoned
me yesterday & invited me
for dinner with the whole
Holt tribe. Gee that would
have been nice.
I will go over to Selma's
again some day when I go
on night duty. The other
evening when I was there
I was so sleepy I could
hardly talk at all. I've
been so dead tired lately often
my 12 hrs. of hard work & I mean
hard. It sure is now. So I've

been in bed almost every
night by 8:30 or 9.
Edna phoned me yesterday
She is having her dinner with
the family she lives with. And
Friday night they are all
going to our church to some
doing & as luck will have it
I begin my night duty Friday
night so I can't be with them
Oh! well every pay day counts
Now & I'm afraid there
will not be so many more
I hope your arm will heal
O.K. Gee burns do hurt don't
they?
Minnie & Arthur Johnson
were up to Al Holts last week.
but none of us were there
to see them.
So Hattie is still going with
her boy friend. Did you ever
hear if it was true that Freda
was married. Where is Julia

now. You see I don't know
much about the big relation
of mine any more. "Ha Ha"
Well I am very disappointed
the mail just carry & nothing
from home & of course no
deliveries all day tomorrow
so I'll have to wait until
Friday now.
Well guess I'll close and
finish my work before
dinner-
Write me all the news
& here hoping you fellows
get your buck.
      Best wishes
          As ever Gladys

I wonder if they did build a hunting lodge somewhere. If they did I wonder where and how long it lasted.
I wonder how Grandpa burned his arm and how bad it was.
I wonder how long she worked for Miss Avery.
She's right, every pay day counts even today.
I hope Grandpa got a buck that hunting season.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

The music went around and round but the old rocking chair was saved in this home at Cordele, Ga.,
heaviest sufferer in the tornado Thursday.- A.P. Wirephoto.

I wonder how much damage happened with that tornado.

Here is a cartoon from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:


I'm getting to the end of the joke book. So I'll be showing one joke at a time to make it last longer. Then I have to find something else to share with you. No more old joke books, sorry.

Finally, here is a random picture:

Taken during someones class trip.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment