Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Gladys: Dec. 7, 1932 Chicago, Ill

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. I know a lot of different places had very bad weather. Here we had snow on Sunday morning. We got about 4.5 inches. It was also windy during the day blowing and drifting a bit. when I went out to feed my turkeys it was hard to find the path and I was often over knee deep in snow. But now it's getting warmer so it is starting to melt.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:



 As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                Chicago Ill
                  Dec 6-32
Dear Howard:-
Three reports on the
banquet have reached me
and all just as enthusiastic
so glad you all got a
deer and that the
club could get together
for a good time.
Not one of my reports
mentioned the ladies
were there not any
present? was it a
stag party?

What are you going to sing in
the program? Are you going to
again speak "Barefoot Boy"?
Gee! I would certainly be happy
if I could be home Christmas
13 Xmas's away from home
in a row. I don't think Edna
will go home either as it
would only be for a couple
of days. and she is pretty busy
in the church doings etc. I
think the way things are
working out. I will be on
night duty over Xmas so then
I can go to the children's program
in the P.M. I do love it so
our patient is pretty bad this
morning. So we don't know
from day to day how things
will go. Things look better
for the nurses through in
the last two weeks. Sort of a
flu epidemic Hurrah!  Maybe
We will all work after all
but maybe without pay as

no one can afford nurses any
more. No cut in their wages you know.
Too bad the scarlet fever has come
up there. I was over to Selma's yes-
terday, but Selma or Edward did not
know the no. of Walins house. They know
which house it is but they never paid
any attention to the no. & Hilding was
not at home. So I asked Eddie to
tell Walter to write you a card &
send you his address I hope that
was O.K. because I don't get over
there again for 2 weeks as I go on
day duty now again. it is snowing
here today 7 cold. Write me soon
& give me all the news. Are you
not glad that the people who bought
 Harless's place realy have some girls after
                                        all. Or
                                          are you
                                          disapp-
                                           ointed?
                                               Ha Ha

I wonder what she meant by "Barefoot Boy". Was it a part or a song or just something she called him?
I guess I may never know.
The weather sounded about right for that time of year.
I wonder how long their patient was able to hold on.
It was nice to hear that Grandpa and his club all got deer. I wonder what he got?
I wonder if there were any ladies at the club party.
It does sound like scarlet fever was making it's rounds up this way. How many people had to deal with it at that time?
I wonder if she got Walter's address.
It's to bad to hear that she had not been able to come home for Xmas for 13 years. I wonder when she was able to come back home for the holidays.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:


Reminds me of what we had to deal with this last weekend.

Here is a joke from the joke book "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:

If he was not so bright, how was he able to be a good philanthropist?

Finally, here is a random picture:

No clue who is in this picture. it looks like they are on a camping trip to me.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week. Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment