Friday, February 2, 2018

Gladys: Oct. 26, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you week was as good as mine. Last night we had opening night for our play, "Escanaba in Da Moonlight". It was a very good show. Two more to go. Tonight we do have to compete with a basketball game across the hall. But what ya going to do when the only place to put on a show is at the high school.
Oh well, here is the next letter from Gladys:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

(written along top upside down)
or is he still here looking for her Ha! ha!
                       Tuesday
Dear Howard:-
      Well! Well! I received your letter
a few days ago and see all in Ogema
is O.K. We are all fine, I spent Sunday
night & Monday at Aunt Hildagard as
Gustafson & I shifted & each time we
shift (which is every 2 weeks) we get 24
hrs. off & next time we shift she gets
the 24 hrs. off, see? This morning I
went over to aunt Selma, Hildeing
is working on a night shift now
so he was asleep so I did not see him.
Sat evening our dear old patient
had her first dinner party since she
broke her hip. She only had 6 of us
but it was great having her out to
the table entertaining once again
and she walked to the table too
from her room between nurses
Gustafson & I of course
(written along the side)
write me all the news. Did Linneas fin come home yet?

Her niece & her husband from California
are visiting here & Miss G. boy friend
who is studying at the seminary at Rock
Island to be a minister was out of Miss
Avery's party & then Miss G. myself &
herself made the 6. The table was
beautiful a huge long plate of every
kind of fruit in center with green
candles & the cutest place cards
you ever saw. I'll send you mine
but be sure & return it. Those were
more a joke than anything else
but the table & dinner was so beat-
iful we tried to make it a birthday
party but no one of us had a birthday
any where near & to early for Thanks
giving although we did have a turkey.
So we thought it would be fun &
say it was for Halloween. hence the
Halloween cards. Dad mentioned that
you had been in to see them & that
you liked their new calf. well I must
close now & get some sleep as I will
soon have to go on duty. Write me
soon say hello to Tom. G

I t sounded like they had a very nice dinner party.
 I wonder how often they were able to do that kind of thing.
I wish I could have seen the place card but I'm sure he did send it back to her.

Here is a picture from the scrap book.: 1936


Like the Village Green in New England, the courthouse square is Typical of Wisconsin towns and
cities. This is the courthouse in Fond du Lac built of red brick and set in a parklike open space. Official
life of Fond du Lac county centers in it.

The building still exists today. I'm not sure if it still used in the same way. I think there is a new courthouse.
it does look the same.

Here are a few pages from the joke book. 1956:




Enjoy.

Finally a random picture:

No clue who any of these people are or when it was taken.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
Stay warm this weekend.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment