Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Gladys: Nov. 1, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good. On Saturday we had the last show for our play. All three nights we had very good crowds. Everyone Had a very good time. Now for me it's back to the same old same old. Oh well, quiet time is a good thing.
Here is the next letter from Gladys:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                   Tuesday
Dear Howard:-
  well! your letter arrived
yesterday p.m. & thanks for the
candidate cards. as I am very
interested in knowing who
is running for office up around
there & I mean running! Be-
cause they sure do run
around don't they? Well
i can never! never! understand
it, because I feel that if a
man is good. he would
be liked & wanted well everything
by the people so he would
be elected & not have to
run around & beg buy &
steal his votes as they sure

do. If you care see anything
convincing in R. speeches
go ahead. I can't, its all
idle talk and if you
think a new man inex-
perienced can know more
about handling this miss
we are in than a man
who has had to do & know
it for 4 yrs. well go ahead
now I'm telling you just
how I feel but don't go &
tell anyone. yes! I'm a
Hoors rooter & a loud
one at that. After knowing
what I know won't R
I'd have to be blind, deaf &
dumb to vote for him.
well I'd better stop before

I get you real mad at me.
& why should we be mad on
acct of some thing we cannot help.
Interested in hearing about
that party but hope some
one will come forward and
do some thing to help her
poor kid. He certainly is a
poor sport. Let me know
what ever you hear.
Yes! Linnea is still in school
does not take her states board
 exam until Feb. some time
Edna is fine & busy as ever.
Fathers aunt died yesterday
morning so we all go to the
funeral tomorrow p.m.
you remember Ruth & Ivan
Olson who visited us that

time I was home? Well, it's
their mother who died.
She was Pete Swanson's
youngest sister& only 9 years
older than Dad. She used to
wheel Dad around in his buggy
when he was a baby. Well! so
it goes.
The weather is cold here
but no snow yet. They say
we will have a very cold long
winter terrible for all that
crowd of homeless people who
stand & shiver. Gee! how I
hate to see it.
Yes! I did hear something
about W. Walin's robbery. but
I only heard that his car was
stolen & when it was found

everything had been removed
from it that could be removed.
But he got it all fixed up again
a couple of weeks ago. Cousin
Edward did all the work on it.
He is very handy around cars.
takes after his fathers cousin H.J.
I guess. Edward is as big as
you are Howard. Red hair &
everything. You certainly
would know he was a
relative of yours if you saw
him "sure enough?"
Too bad about the Fin
boy who was he?
Howard can you tell me
the first name of that
a very who gave the 5000.00
to the R.N.C. was it Sewell or

Waldo. They are both nephews
of my patient & very prominent
in the Repub. part as Miss
Avery's father was one of the
committee of men who founded
the Repub. party in 1866 at
Jackson Mich. and she has
been president of the Women's
National Republican Club for
years & years. That is why we
stayed at the N.N.R. club in
New York when we were there.
Well write me soon again
and tell me all the news.
    as ever Gladys.

Now this is a very newsy letter.
I do wonder if the election she stated talking about had to do with the Sunnyside Gun & Rod Club.Or was it something else.
I wonder what the people from that time would think about the Republican Party today.
It was sad to hear about Walter's car being stolen then stripped.
Mentioning the homeless people was a little bit of a surprise. I know it did happen. Reading someone mentioning it makes it more real.
Her father aunt passing away. I wonder how old she was.
I wonder who the Fin boy was and what happened to him.
I wonder what Linnea was in school for.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

  Alyce Jane McHenry, 11, the Omaha girl who was operated upon for her upside down stom-
ach, is shown in an Associated Press wirephoto as she celebrated the first anniversary of her
operation, and in the other picture as she appeared only last July. She now weighs 96 pounds,
double her weight of a year ago. Her operation and convalescence in Fall River, Mass., attracted
nation-wide attention.

It must have been very hard living with an upside down stomach. I wonder how common this kind of thing was back then and today.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



Enjoy.

Here is a random picture:

Taken during someones class trip.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment