Friday, February 16, 2018

Gladys: Nov. 17, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was the same old same old. The temps are starting to get a little warmer. it's not suppose to get below zero. I hope those temps are done for the year. I'm hoping the weekend will be a good one.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:





 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

Dear Howard:-
Just a few lines in
answer to your newsy
letter.
We are having our
first snow storm today
the streets look wet &
dirty from up here
but all the roofs are
white which is a very
pleasant out look after
looking at the dirty
ones for a year. You
see Miss Avery's apart-
ment is on the 14th
floor so we are a
good deal higher
than a great many
bldgs. around us.
There are quite a few
old homes left in
this neighborhood. We
almost lost our poor
old lady. She got an
abscess in one of her
teeth & being so weak
could not throw off the
infection without
getting deadly sick
from it and then
she had another
embolism attack on
top of that and

then a bad cold
so you can never
know how hard we
have had to work
to keep her out of
pneumonia, but we
think the danger
is passed now.
You see she will
be 83 in Jan. I
was sort of wishing
I could go home
over Xmas, but
Miss Gustafson has
made all arrange-
ments to go to her
home in Nebraska
as this will be her
last Xmas home be-
fore she is married
She will be married
in June as soon
as her boy friend
is ordained. he is
coming in from
Rich island for Thanks-
giving too. So guess
we will have to do a
little shifting of hrs.
so she can see him
You know it never

makes any difference
to me when I'm on
or off because I have
no beau.
Edna came over
for a few minutes
Sunday P.M. she
was on her way to
the Edgewater beach
for dinner. Sunday
night I went down
to see my aunt. She
had an operation
a week ago last
Sat.
I see I sure am a
dull one these days.
Just work & work
haven't been any
where or seen any
thing to write
about.
I suppose you
were pleased with
the election. Well
I hope for the best
but if Garner ever
has to be president
Oh! boy!
  What kind of a
party was Elmer

giving?
You are all wrong
2 cannot live as
cheaply as one and
those who figure
on that get badly!
very badly fooled.
Where are your
club headquarters?
I think it would
be great to build
yourself a log club
house. Something
on the order of a
hunting lodge
Don't you think
that would be
rather nice?
I may go over to
Aunt Selma's when
I get through this
evening. As next
week I go on night
duty again and when
I go there during the
day I don't see the
girls because they
are in school.
Well I guess I
better close and

please excuse
my stationary
with best wishes
to you & Thomas.
    Gladys
write soon & give
me all the news.
Tuesday-Nov 15-32

 It sounds like she was staying at one of the tallest buildings in that area. I suppose looking down at the roads they do look dirtier. I wonder how long she did work for Miss Avery.
It does sound like she has been very busy working.
I do wonder where the club house was. I wonder how long Grandpa was involved with it.
This letter was written on those small papers again. I was able to put two together because she didn't write on both sides. There are 9 pages.

Here is an article form the scrap book:

I'm not sure what year this was from. It is in the second scrap book. I wish who ever cut it out of the paper would have left the year.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

Not sure who this is for sure. The date stamp is Dec. 64.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
enjoy your weekend.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment